Super Contributor

Who has a microwave/convection combo in their kitchen?

Can you share how you use it and for what?  I've tried a few times, and my food came out like a disaster.  I don't think I fully understand the principle behind that technology.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Microwave/Convection Combo

i've never heard of such an appliance.....

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have one.  Wore out my first one, which lasted 15 years I guess.  I don't cook in the microwave but reheat food and heat liquids like water and my tea that has cooled down too much.  DH uses it to "cook" his nutrisystem food.

I bake and cook in the convection part all the time.  I bake muffins, brownies, cookies, small casseroles, salmon, chicken, any meat I want.  I LOVE this thing.  I use my large oven on Thansgiving and Christmas.  Otherwise I use my convection microwave.

It's a sharp carousel.  I preheat it by touching the preheat button, then the temp button, then the start button.  Once it is finished preheating, I put the item in, then push the convection button, the temp button, and the time.  HTH

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59 Really?   Our first microwave 35 years ago was C & C.  I never used the convection b/c I couldn't see any benefit - actually it was better cooking without.

(now stoves have convection and air fry feature = $ expensive.  My KitchenAid counter top oven has both too.

Super Contributor

@KLm  Question for you Kim - Do you use some kind of rack to raise your baking pans so the air circulates under them?  Also, what type bakeware do you use?  Glass or metal?  I have a built in Microwave/Convection Oven that I only use for the micro functions.  You might have inspired me to try some cooking using the convection.

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@nana59 Really?   Our first microwave 35 years ago was C & C.  I never used the convection b/c I couldn't see any benefit - actually it was better cooking without.

(now stoves have convection and air fry feature = $ expensive.  My KitchenAid counter top oven has both too.

geez.....guess i don't get out much!!

Valued Contributor

I use glass and metal both.  I have used silicone but not a fan of that.  I use a temptations ceramic muffin pan to bake muffins.  That means six at a time LOL  More means two batches, but I have two muffin pans (They do not stack because of their design).  I have in the past used the rack that came with it to stack and cook two different things at the same time, but usually I only cook one thing at a time.

I do not elevate pans when I bake unless I am stacking pans.

The only issue is the size restriction.  My muffin pan is round.  

Any other pan has to be able to fit in the microwave, which is on the larger side as microwaves go, but it's not a full oven. So something that fits in a toaster oven would work, or if it's round.  I bake pizza on a round metal pan the size of the turntable metal pan that came with the oven.  It will hold an 8X8 square pan.  And also a rectangle glass pan that might be 6X10.  The turntable does rotate when it's baking.

I like the oven because it takes no time to preheat, and it bakes much better than my gas oven.  (Gas oven is better for roasting and cooking meat, but it's huge and to heat it for just that makes no sense to me.)

HTH.....sorry to run on.....about a microwave oven.

Valued Contributor

I've had one microwave that had convection feature and I never used it. Now I use the convection oven and can't live without it.