Esteemed Contributor

Re: Micro wave oven died☠️ This morning😢

@peachesncream wrote:

Ours is 23 years old and still works fine (although it predates the carousel that newer ones have).

I kind of dread it dying, because it's an overhead model and those are a hassle to replace. We'd have to replace it with the same type, or there would be a gaping hole in our cabinets!

I don't know who decided overhead microwave ovens were a good idea. I find it annoying, and potentially dangerous, to lift hot dishes from the microwave. And there's always the possibility of dropping something from that oven onto the glass cooktop below. Not a good design decision.

@peachesncream 

I totally agree with what you said. Especially if you're short like me, it can be a stretch. Also, when something is really boiling away, like pasta, the exhaust fans don't handle pulling up all the steam. Much ends up on the microwave door and touch panel and your ceiling. This newer one of mine doesn't do any better of a job at that than my 15 year old one that it replaced. I find myself wiping them off several times.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have a very old Amana. It's not the original Radarange, but not too from that. It's at least 40yo. If it ever dies I will buy another Amana...built to last.

Amana microwave ovens are made right here in the USA. 

@SilleeMee     Sadly  most  everything now is not built to last like years ago... refrigerators.... washer and dryers... water heaters.. microwaves... only have life expencies of about 5 years if you are lucky... without breakdown or death..... Brands known for their quality are no longer known for that.  Enjoy that old Amana and may you get many many more years out of it!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I'll still buy an Amana simply b/c it's made in the USA, if nothing else. I try to support our economy the best I can and that's important to me especially now.

Esteemed Contributor

How awful!  Don't know how we ever lived without a microwave.

Mine is built in and came with the house.  I tell it every morning that mama is going to be gentle and please, please, please,,,,,,,,

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining - I have a free-standing one that I follow the same cajoling process with each day; it's 24 years old and I worry every day that it will give up the ghost. And I've been searching for a potential replacement for four years and haven't seen a single unit that I really like. Keeping these fingers crossed along with you!

Respected Contributor

My GE Profile Over The Range Microwave died a sudden death about a month ago & I went to my local appliance store about 3 days later & ordered a new one.  It had already been repaired once several years ago, & I didn't want to put any more money into fixing it, so I replaced it with a KitchenAid which was delivered & installed a couple of weeks later (their deliveries are coming from the factory really slow).  So far, so good, though I'm having to learn how to use a new brand with different settings on it. 

It's funny how I lived the first 35 or so years of my life just fine without a microwave & now I can't go more than a couple of days without one!

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

My Sharp Carousal work horse will be 30 yrs old next month.....

Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at Sun, Oct 25, 2020-4.12.11 PM.pngIMG_0121.jpg

You can use alumininum foil too.  You put the foil over the food that you do not want to heat up.

I don't think they make microwaves this big anymore.  Lots of room for my 11" dinner plates & tall stuff.

My Tappan microwave looks similar to your Sharp, except I have dials. The inside looks exactly the same. We got it around 1985. It is huge. And still works like a charm. 

Hope you continue to enjoy your microwave. We use ours all the time.

Respected Contributor

My built-in over the stove microwave died a few weeks ago, and today I finally decided to do something about it.

I drove over to a mom & pop type appliance store and within 5 minutes I was out the door! Holy toldedo, was I impressed!

The guy greeted me and asked what type of goods was I interersted in, and when I said "A built in microwave & I'm a basic type of gal!", he pointed out a microwave, gave me a cheaper price, and arranged to have it delivered and installed tomorrow morning, & the old one hauled away.

It was shockingly easy, and way cheaper than I ever thought it'd be. Yay! Smiley LOL

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

I love my overhead microwave because I am so short of counter space.  I do not boil pasta in it however, so no risk with boiling water.  I take that back, I do get a two cup measuring cup boiling for a couple minutes.  That creates steam that will loosen the gunk that flies off the food and gets stuck on the ceiling and walls.  Yes, I have those lid thingys, but I don't always use them. Beans and clam chowder are prime offenders.  

Super Contributor

@peachesncream wrote:

Ours is 23 years old and still works fine (although it predates the carousel that newer ones have).

I kind of dread it dying, because it's an overhead model and those are a hassle to replace. We'd have to replace it with the same type, or there would be a gaping hole in our cabinets!

I don't know who decided overhead microwave ovens were a good idea. I find it annoying, and potentially dangerous, to lift hot dishes from the microwave. And there's always the possibility of dropping something from that oven onto the glass cooktop below. Not a good design decision.

There is a appliance trim company to cover the gaps. Used them for my cooktop.

https://www.microtrim.com/