Respected Contributor

I kept missing the presentation since midnight and finally caught about 5 minutes of it.

I like him on Iron Chef, never get to watch the CHEW but he makes guest appearances on other shows 

so

here's what an Iron Chef says (of course selling his cookware)

He has been cooking professionally for 30 years and it's the cookware that makes great food.

That's a new one for me but maybe it wasn't selling very good.

Respected Contributor

it's made in China

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Super Contributor

I looked at it but it's not the kind I'm looking for. It's enamaled cast iron.I have some pieces like that already. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Michael Symon Cookware

[ Edited ]

I briefly watched the Symon cookware presentation and noticed that each piece had a dark interior surface.

The latest issue of  Cooks Illustrated rated enameled cast iron cookware.  Of course, Le Creuset rated best, along with Cuisinart's Chef's Classic and a few other brands--all having  what the magazine called "light interiors".

When it came to brands with dark interior surfaces, the authors always noted this as a negative feature and said it made it difficult to monitor browning of food.

Honored Contributor

There are many types of pans out there with a dark interior, Calphalon comes to mind, plus all those coated, non stick pans.

It may be a negative for a chef, but not sure it matters to a home cook.

If that's the only negative they can come up with, it wouldn't make me not buy it if it's something I wanted.

Not taking issue with YOU, just saying.

@novamc1 wrote:

I briefly watched the Symon cookware presentation and noticed that each piece had a dark interior surface.

The latest issue of  Cooks Illustrated rated enameled cast iron cookware.  Of course, Le Creuset rated best, along with Cuisinart's Chef's Classic and a few other brands--all having  what the magazine called "light interiors".

When it came to brands with dark interior surfaces, the authors always noted this as a negative feature and said it made it difficult to monitor browning of food.

Respected Contributor

Re: Michael Symon Cookware

[ Edited ]

@software

Interior color wasn't the only reason given for preferring one brand over another when large-sized round Dutch ovens were compared. 

Other factors included weight (with LC cast iron considered to be 'Medium" weight as opposed to some with heavier weights). shape of the pot (tall and narrow as opposed to wider ones with more cooking surface), durability, ease of use,  shape of the handles, etc.

All enameled cast iron pots tested were given about the same three stars for "cooking"........so go figure.

Only two out of the 10 brands were "not recommended".........Anolon Vesta and Emile Henry.

No surprise on one feature.............  LC's only negative feature was considered to be "price".  LOL!!

Respected Contributor

amazing that LC is considered only "medium" heavy.. cann barely lifrt most of mine anymore, even empty, the Dutch Oven is a bear!

Honored Contributor

I love cast iron cooking and I would love to have a set but I don't do much cooking anymore plus the weight would be a negative for me personally.

Using the light weight may defeat the purpose.

I know how Cook's Illustrated is, they really nitpick but it's what people are looking for.   

@novamc1

Honored Contributor

I did like the colors but not interested in it--way too heavy for me anymore--I just got rid of the  nasty, black nonstick junk and bought all new stainless steel. Am tired of having to be careful using utencils in things. Seems to work very well and it looks pretty too. Had some ceramic coated  that was ok, but started chipping even after babying it, then some of Curtis Stones durapans which I love. 

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling I own his burgundy skillet and dutch oven....I love both and they cook food really well.  They are good quality but beware they are heavy so if you have issues handling heavy cookware these pieces may not be for you.  I saw the special with the entire cookware set and considered ordering but I already own two of the pieces in the set.

Symon Home 4.5-Quart Enameled Cast Iron Oval Dutch Oven