Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mexican Food: Like it? Eat it a lot?

I like the Mild, but lately whenever I eat Mexican food my stomach burns for hours after I finish, so for now I have to stay away from it!

Trusted Contributor

Huge fan of mexican food.  Like you, I can eat fresh salsa like crazy.  Love cilantro and lime and avocado...if I had one choice of food-style to eat the rest of my life mexican it would be

Honored Contributor

Love it!  I make tacos at least twice a week.  When I grill steaks, I say a few for the freezer, then when I want to make steak tacos, I pull one out.  I also use chicken and at times, fish tacos.  I use different salsas and toppings so they don't always taste the same. I grill the tortillas on my gas top, really makes a taco, I think.  

Right now, I am growing three tomatillo plants so I can make tons of salsa verde, this I use on fish and chicken tacos, for the freezer to last a year, I hope.  I am also growing nine varieties of chilies.  I will slice, freeze on a tray, then put into baggies for use during the next year.  We are enjoying home grown tomatoes now on the tacos and in salsas.

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Life without Mexican food would not be worth living!

Although I might occasionally eat the old kind (plates with a taco or enchilada, rice, and beans), we now much favor the more modern iterations. It's more healthful, too.

That's how I am too.  i think the big heavy plates with retried beans and rice are really American versions of Mexican.  We make tacos with fresh corn tortillas, shredded cabbage, cilantro and ken steak or shrimp and maybe a dollop of sour cream with a fresh salsa or chopped onions tomatoes and hot sauce...avocado...I think the mexican food I envision is the best food around and pretty healthy.  I like it on the spicy side with fresh jalapeño or hot sauce on everything lol

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

Love it!  I make tacos at least twice a week.  When I grill steaks, I say a few for the freezer, then when I want to make steak tacos, I pull one out.  I also use chicken and at times, fish tacos.  I use different salsas and toppings so they don't always taste the same. I grill the tortillas on my gas top, really makes a taco, I think.  

Right now, I am growing three tomatillo plants so I can make tons of salsa verde, this I use on fish and chicken tacos, for the freezer to last a year, I hope.  I am also growing nine varieties of chilies.  I will slice, freeze on a tray, then put into baggies for use during the next year.  We are enjoying home grown tomatoes now on the tacos and in salsas.

Is is exactly how we eat! 

we will often heat the corn tortillas in a cast iron pan and whati do for a taco topping is shredded cabbage, cilantro, green or red onions and I toss I think all together with fresh lime juice.  Chop of tomatoes and a little jalapeño if I've got it.  A scoop of that in top of a Warm corn tortilla with fish or shrimp and maybe a slice of avocado and some hot sauce...really delicious.  

I love trying out new types of bottled of hot sauce as it changes the taste so much.  Tapatio is a reliable favorite though. 

Honored Contributor

As long as there is no rice or beans on my plate, I like Mexican food.  There are plenty of Mexican restaurants near me but very few good ones.

Honored Contributor

I love fajitas, but they are usually so oily and greasy when I order them out.  I love Mateos salsa which I can find at Costco.  It's the best salsa I've ever eaten, and I put it on everything.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

We have a few Mexican eateries in our area, but I like to cook my own Mexican food. I pretty much like everything, but on the mild side spice wise. I make really good rice and beans and it's pretty healthy. My son who lived in Mexico for 2 years really loves his Mexican food and has become quite a good cook. Mexican food is what he cooks for himself almost daily. My husband and I eat Mexican maybe once or twice a month, mostly when we visit our son.

Honored Contributor

I grew up in Southern California so I ate alot of Mexican food (especially fish tacos!).  I love to make tacos out everything (current favorite duck).  We have a few Mexican restaurants here in the PNW but they are all too heavy on beans,rice and cheese.  Occasionally after a movie we will go to a nearby restaurant for an order of their freshly made guacamole and an order of street tacos.  

Valued Contributor

LOVE IT HOT  NO PLACE HERE TO EAT IT    BOO HOO