Melissa's Top 10 Supermarket Savings Strategies

From Melissa d'Arabian - click here

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Melissa's Top 10 Supermarket Savings Strategies

Thanks, those were good tips.
Respected Contributor

Here's another one that I learned. For years if I wasn't satisfied with a product, I'd call the company and let them know - they always send a coupon for a replacement, and often some other coupons as well. I had bought some Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies at Publix for the troops recently because they were BOGO. Well, I got a cookie craving before I mailed them out and saw they did NOT have HFCS in them; I had the chocolate lemon, and boy, where they good! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} On the package it said to let them know how you like their products, so I called to thank them for not using HFCS, telling them I won't eat anything with that in it (even Oreos now contain it! {#emotions_dlg.mad}) and said I'd rather pay a little more for a product with healthful ingredients. The woman I spoke to was very nice...and is sending me coupons for free cookies and other products.

I'm sure lots of other companies will do the same!

Esteemed Contributor

My top supermarket money saving strategy is that I skip the supermarket.

A few years ago I started shopping at at butcher. He's at least $1/lb cheaper on his beef prices and it's good quality and locally sourced. He'll tell me who he buys from and will cut it for me at no extra charge.

I also skip the imported produce at Meijer and shop my farmer's market. Fresh produce, OMG......like the produce you remember! Grown locally and sold by the people who grow it.

While I'm not able to stop shopping the grocery completely, I'm working on it!

Valued Contributor

I would rather buy local produce too, but what do you do when fruits and vegetables are out of season, or are not grown where you live?

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/22/2014 cotto22 said:

I would rather buy local produce too, but what do you do when fruits and vegetables are out of season, or are not grown where you live?

I went back to doing what my grandma did, I eat fresh in season and I can or freeze.

I buy strawberries in season, freeze. I bought several bushels of apples at my local orchard and they lasted until February/early March. I made applesauce, pie fillings, etc. I will take advantage of Vidalia onions and freeze as well. Consistency is not as good but I use them in stews/chili in the winter.

I'm working on how much to buy in bulk that will get us thru a winter so it's not perfected, yet!

What items can't you get locally?