Respected Contributor

Re: Meals from the years past that aren't seen today

My mother was a wonderful cook, so my memories of childhood meals are good ones. I don't have her recipes, and she died when I was a child so there is no one to ask. I do have her cookbook (she only had one), The American Woman's Cookbook.

Much of what she cooked we would still eat today. But some recipes are obscure. I remember a casserole that had mashed potatoes on the bottom, then hot dogs, and a sort of homemade barbecue sauce over the top. My brother and I loved that.

She made baked beans from scratch, cooked in a bean pot in the oven. And chili made with cubed chuck or rump roast (not ground beef). We often had standing rib roast for Sunday dinner (that cut of beef is outrageously expensive now, but it must have been fairly affordable back then). Her fried chicken was to die for.

For lunch, we loved fried bologna. She often served lunches based around Vienna Sausages - beans and sausages, sausage sandwiches, sausages wrapped in a biscuit and baked. Tuna sandwiches, tuna croquettes, tuna casserole - we ate a lot of tuna! Grilled cheese sandwiches fried in butter - that was my favorite. I was happy when we got Potato Sticks with our lunch (they came in a can and tasted like potato chips).

She was a wonderful baker, and I remember her pies - cherry, apple, lemon meringue, coconut custard. And the cookie jar was seldom empty.

I'm a pretty good cook, but I don't think I could hold a candle to my Mom.

Super Contributor

Most of the things I ate growing up I still eat today, but reading the responses made me think of a few that are long gone. Some missed, some not.

Fried bologna (sandwich)- when I was a teen this was a favorite late night snack for a few years. Then I went vegetarian. Not one any more, but no longer eat bologna.

Jello with shredded carrots - I hated it then, and almost gagged when mom made me eat it, which was usually at some pot luck.

Creamed tuna on toast - I used to make my own with cream of celery soup and green onions. Might have to resurrect that one. I liked it.

Hot chocolate from scratch - slowly heated on the stove, then dip toast in it.

Franco-American Macaroni and Cheese - the yellow stuff with the long, thick noodles. Don't know why, but I really liked it. I miss it since it was discontinued.

Valued Contributor

My mom's favorite dessert was Famous Layered Cake... Famous chocolate wafers spread with real whipped cream between each layer. She always made it a day ahead and woe be to anyone who tried to get a taste before it was served. My father always got the lion's share of the left-overs. I admit it was really good, but we just don't eat that kind of thing now. I did make it for my grandsons once and I thought they would die from delerium!

Mom's favorite "salad" was a lettuce cup with a half canned pear laying on it. Then there was a hand rolled ball of cream cheese in the pit of the pear and a sauce made of mayo, pear juice and marachino cherry juice.

Frequent Contributor

I loved heart(cow) and dumplings. Roast beef hash, smelt--just thrown in the deep fryer, frog legs, salmon patties and I don't like salmon.

We also had milk toast when we weren't feeling well and fried mush. I'll have to make some fried mush--I haven't had it in years. I don't think I ever had fried chicken when I was little--it was always baked or chicken and dumplings.

Respected Contributor

Today I eat almost nothing I grew up having for meals...

Most times dinner was "Mystery Meat" fried in bacon grease (my mother kept the grease in a soup can on the stove), canned veggies, and lumpy mashed potatoes with the grease from the pan as "gravy."

Sometimes she'd make these great big fried meatballs; I never cared for them.

Polish spaghetti - spaghetti with ketchup on it. {#emotions_dlg.crying} Then she discovered Chef Boyardee spaghetti sauce, and would pour it over the spaghetti, cold.

She did make some good soups, though.

Occasional Contributor

On 1/28/2014 The Bird said:

What we used to have, but have no longer, is real, sweet wonderful cob corn. Now the industrial farmers have ruined it. GMO. Chelated soils due to the herbicides and pesticides necessary with the GMO seed. I miss my sweet corn. It is a distant dream from childhood. The younger generations do not realize the loss of this wonderful food. - Bird

So many misconceptions about GMO corn. Corn has been genetically modified since hybrids were developed in the 1930's.

Trusted Contributor

I had forgotten about the canned spaghetti with ground beef mixed in until I read it on this thread....that was a staple my mom made when we were young.

Also, we did have fried spam either on white bread with ketchup or just "straight up" on a plate and we would dip in ketchup as we ate it!

My mother would have liver and onions on occasion and it would smell delicious cooking...then I'd go to eat it and yuck! ... could never finish it!

We also had junket for dessert, it was a weird consistency...kind of a cross between pudding and jello!

Sometimes as a treat we would have Jiffy Pop popcorn...we loved watching the big "balloon" of foil blow up as the popcorn popped! Then you'd have to let it cool a little and you could start peeling open the foil to get to the popcorn!

I remember we'd stay overnight at my grandmother's and she would always let us have the Count Chocula, Frankenberry and Booberry cereals (chocolate, strawberry and blueberry cereals with marshmallows, of course!)

When my father worked late, my mother always let us have TV dinners, which we LOVED! My favorite was the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing and dessert.

Ah, the memories!!!

Respected Contributor

I forgot about Ovaltine. My Mom always gave us a mug of Ovaltine before bedtime in the winter.

I wonder if it's still around.

Super Contributor

Yes oval tine is alive and well. My DH and I have a hot cup of it about three or four times awake. Still tastes the same too.
Honored Contributor

My first MIL used to take a canned pear half, smear it with cream cheese, and cover it with halved black grapes. I think it was supposed to resemble a turtle......but it looked more like a grenade to me.........

♥Surface of the Sun♥