Honored Contributor

Re: Meals from the years past that aren't seen today

On 1/28/2014 ennui1 said:

Fried bologna. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} (It's good!)

Fried SPAM is still served and loved in Hawaii, especially with eggs. I think that's similar.

Honored Contributor

Fried SPAM is still served and loved in Hawaii, especially with eggs. I think that's similar.

Valued Contributor

My mother was a wonderful cook - at Christmas we had German Meat Pie -mixture of beef, onions and spices in a bisquick pie crust. Her homemade rolls were wonderful. She really could cook almost anything but wasn't good at explaining her recipe tweaks - she did it intuitively. We lived in a rural area and I'd say most of her time as a housewife was spent cooking since my dad worked locally and was home for all three meals.

Lots of canning tomatoes, making jams and pickles etc.

I just was never a fan of the jello molds with carrots/pineapple. LOL - and she could never make good mac & cheese. And never a fan of the boiled dinners w/cabbage, sausage, etc..

Respected Contributor

On 1/28/2014 ury said:

Fun thread -- lots of memories. Although us kids grew up in the Midwest, my parents were Southern transplants and I always thought their food choice was a Southern thing. Maybe it was just a 60s thing!

Lime Jello with shredded carrots (oh, my)

Big 'ol ham bones cooked in navy beans (cooked all day long and served with cornbread)

Chicken and dumplings (home made)

Mush - my dad would slice this loaf thing and fry it

Fried bologna sandwiches - a little cut so it would lay flat

Spam. Sliced cold, right out of the can, with onions on white bread

mayo sandwiches on white bread with the crust cut off

Big glass of buttermilk with cornbread crumbled in it. On special days, chopped onions added

Yikes -- scrambled eggs and brains

Liver and onions

Fried mountain oysters (blech)

We were never without a big jar of pickled pigs' feet in the fridge. I would hide them when I had guests over.

Buttermilk pie

Peanut butter sandwiches with sliced bananas

Fried okra (yum)

corn beef has with fried egg on top

Let me count the things we Southerners still eat.....ham bone and beans (any kind really, makes the best beans), fried okra is at most restaurants and homes (it even comes breaded for frying in the freezer section), PB and Banana sandwiches (Yummy), pig's feet, liver and onions is still very common, buttermilk and corn bread, buttermilk pie (Doesn't taste like buttermilk thank God!), mayo sandwiches, spam, chicken and dumplings always a favorite, fried bologna sandwiches or with eggs, and mush. The rest isn't as common but still ate with those that eat chitlins. We always clean our own chitlins and only ate those from people we knew that were as picky about cleaning them as we are!

Respected Contributor

On 1/28/2014 forrestwolf said:

I can remember that in summer, you had pan fried country ham, with fresh homemade buttered biscuits, and sliced cantaloupe, with both salt and pepper on it....I can only do the cantaloupe........Wink Grannie would make brains and eggs for my uncle, there was smothered rabbit for Christmas morning (none of which I would eat), and the preacher would bring over freshly killed birds (quail), for a good meal for him to have.........on a Friday night.......Canned oiled sausages, and on a rare occasion, the treat would be a pineapple sandwich, as we just never ate or had sandwiches.......{#emotions_dlg.huh}

We still eat the pan fried country ham and biscuits. That is breakfast around here or breakfast for supper. You then make gravy in the grease from the pan and add gravey to it. The other things we don't eat much of, but quail is still very, very popular. You can either go outside and hunt them or buy them in the grocery store. They are a very delicate, light tasting bird. They are also fried whole down here, but what can't be fried....

Respected Contributor

I know this was meant to be a memory lane kind of thing, but much of this food is still served at homes and restaurants around the south everyday. We are slow about change and still cook much from scratch. I've watched those semi-homemade shows and find them funny as homemade doesn't take that much long, if any, and tastes way better. I guess we aren't in such a rush with some many after school activities and the like. We do make sure we go to church on Wednesdays, so that is a busy day. Most churches actually serve a meal Wednesday nights, so people can get a real meal before church without the rush. You can just go straight to church for fellowship and supper. When I write it all out, it does sound old fashioned! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

I grew up with 100% homemade meals. I never ate Spam, canned spaghetti, TV dinners or canned soup.
My mother worked outside of the home, but we always had great meals. She canned or froze or vegetables and fruit from our garden, grew herbs and even made homemade wine and jams from our home grown grapes. All of our pasta and noodles were home made. I remember that she used to make pasta dough in sheets. She would drop a spoonful of cheese mixture 2 inches apart on the dough and top it with another sheet of pasta. She would cut out the ravioli with the edge of a glass and crimp the edge with a fork. Lasagne was also made from the pasta sheets. (She owned a pasta machine to roll and cut pasta)
We never ate out, unless we were on vacation. I remember that we used to beg for McD or a pizza from a "pizza parlor."
Thank goodness, we never were served Jello or carrot/raisin salad.
I still do cook like my mom, but not everyday. I use store bought canned and frozen items, but never for a holiday meal or special occasion.
I didn't appreciate the food my mother made, I always envied my friends with stay at home mothers who served them fast food and purchased pizza once in a while.
My mother is gone now and I miss her. I am glad that I learned how to cook from scratch, but I am too lazy to cook like she did...every day. Thanks mom!
Respected Contributor

On 1/28/2014 MOONRISER said: Brinklii--------OMG, we had the same family! Everything you mentioned I have had. Actually I still like all of it.

Moonriser ~~ Isn't that funny? It must have just been a '50s thing...I still eat some of it (not the jello molds with veggies though!).

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

On 1/29/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

OMG...Spam is one of my 89 year old mother's favorite foods. She eats it almost every day. Once in a great while I'll have a piece. I especially like the hot and spicy one. You can make it easily by just putting some tabasco on it. I read that that one is the most popular one in Hawaii.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

GAG---my mom would fix liver and onions--GAG, cough, cough!! {#emotions_dlg.blink} Could not even look at the nasty stuff let alone chew on it-----makes me shiver just thinking about it!!

But my dad would fix kippered snacks and scrambled eggs which I loved. We are Swedish and also loved pickled herring too. Go fig!!!!{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}