Respected Contributor

May 24 Today is NATIONAL ESCARGOT DAY

Never tried them. If you have tried them, how was the dish fixed?

Trusted Contributor

Re: May 24 Today is NATIONAL ESCARGOT DAY

EWWWWWW... I know they are a delicacy and many folks love them, but I just can't, just can't. Hope everyone who wants to can enjoy them on Escargot Day!

Esteemed Contributor

and I was just wondering what to make for breakfast....hahaha....

Esteemed Contributor

I hope you get an answer to your question Barbara, but can I just say

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

I went on a trip to Switzerland and the tour bus driver ordered them. He asked me did I want to try one. I said no. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

On 5/24/2014 circles said:

and I was just wondering what to make for breakfast....hahaha....

That made me laugh! Smile I love escargot, although not for breakfast. Think I was about 15 when I first tried them. If you like oysters or mussels, then the concept of the escargot isn't much different, it's more about wrapping your mind around the idea that they are not your typical garden snail or slug. They are really quite tasty. Not rubbery or chewy if cooked properly, and sort of have an earthy yet ocean-type flavor. It's definitely not one of those foods you want to examine before you eat it, it's not a "pretty" food, but it doesn't have to look good to taste good.

I have never made them at home, prefer to eat them at a restaurant, so won't be having them today. However, my favorite preparations are escargot in mushroom caps, escargot en croute, and just the best plain old way of escargot served in the shell with all that delicious garlic butter sauce and lots of toasty bread (sourdough is good) to soak it all up. With a glass of crisp wine... Yummy!

Esteemed Contributor

I have never tried any of those items you mentioned,Jules...I just know I would never be able to even try them....they look so ugly....sorry....

I am pretty much a steak/burger/hot dog person....(I try NOT to think what they put in those hot dogs...) though I buy the all beef ones...but who knows...hahaha.....

Super Contributor

This thread reminded me, and I forgot to add... if anyone has seen the movie Pretty Woman with Julia Roberts and Richard Gere, when he takes her to that nice dinner meeting and orders escargot for her? She can't figure out how to use the escargot tongs, and launches one across the room.... that can easily happen... don't ask me how I know that! {#emotions_dlg.blushing} {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

On 5/24/2014 circles said:

I have never tried any of those items you mentioned,Jules...I just know I would never be able to even try them....they look so ugly....sorry....

I am pretty much a steak/burger/hot dog person....(I try NOT to think what they put in those hot dogs...) though I buy the all beef ones...but who knows...hahaha.....

circles, nothing at all to be sorry about, and I agree with you, they are an ugly food. Most people tend to eat with their eyes first, so the odd or unusual is not appetizing to them. I didn't want to try them the first time I did, but when I tasted it, I was surprised at how good it was. I am a more seafood type person anyway, so it didn't seem so odd to me. I love mussels and those for sure aren't pretty food, and oysters, and shrimp and lobster that need to be taken from the shell. I guess it is all a matter of preference and comfort zone. My sweet mother would never try escargot, even though I ordered it and ate them in front of her many times, and would always ask if she wanted to try one. She was English, her grandfather was a fisherman, she grew up eating cockles and mussels, she liked oysters (cooked, not raw) but she remembers her parents loving raw oysters. It is just about personal taste and what a person is willing to try. I have always been the type to explore, because I would hate to miss out on something really delicious just because I can't get past the idea of it, but even I have my limits so I understand. I remember fondly many times dining with my parents and I would have escargot, and my mom was sooooo curious. She would watch me eat them and I knew she wanted to try them, but she just couldn't bring herself to do it...and that was okay.

Trusted Contributor

Smothered in garlic and butter. What's not to love?

Boop