Honored Contributor

Masterbuilt portable electric smoker

[ Edited ]

Since it is just DH and I...this is perfect!!! I ordered this yesterday and can't wait to use it (K43827)...

I LOVE that it is portable and we don't need a big smoker like the other ones. I also appreciate that it's electric and don't have to worry about buying and lugging gas around.

I'm even going to do our Thanksgiving turkey in it...llls0251.gif

FYI - Toward the end of the video, it shows how a 16 lb turkey easily fits in the smoker...

Honored Contributor

Re: Masterbuilt portable electric smoker

I hope you love it.  While I'm not in the market, I recall seeing part of the presentation and thinking that it was a great alternative, for probably many people, to the really big one.

Respected Contributor

Have you decided what flavor of smoke the two of you like?  There's various kinds of wood chips, applewood, hickory etc.

Need a bag of those and you need to continue adding chips thoughout your smoking time. 

A butt usually smokes for 10-12 hours, salmon around 2-3 hours, etc.  smoking is an art and it's all trial and error.

Good luck, you'll like it, I love my smoker but I have a larger one.

Honored Contributor

Wow did not know they made one that small. We have one of the larger ones we bought at Lowe's several years ago when it was on end of season closeout.

I like it better than our regular smoker since it's electric. We can easily control how smoked the food is. As I have gotten older I cannot eat it if it's too smoked which a lot of restaurants are. 

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

Have you decided what flavor of smoke the two of you like?  There's various kinds of wood chips, applewood, hickory etc.

Need a bag of those and you need to continue adding chips thoughout your smoking time. 

A butt usually smokes for 10-12 hours, salmon around 2-3 hours, etc.  smoking is an art and it's all trial and error.

Good luck, you'll like it, I love my smoker but I have a larger one.

@Just Bling  DH has been 'smoking' for years in our weber BBQ grill and our fave flavor wood chips are applewood and hickory. This Masterbuilt portable will makes things much easier for him especially during the winter Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

Wow did not know they made one that small. We have one of the larger ones we bought at Lowe's several years ago when it was on end of season closeout.

I like it better than our regular smoker since it's electric. We can easily control how smoked the food is. As I have gotten older I cannot eat it if it's too smoked which a lot of restaurants are. 

@Nightowlz  If we had kids or a large family, then getting a big smoker would make sense. However, since it's just DH and I most of the time, I am thrilled to bits with the ease of moving it from outside on the patio when we use it to then putting it in the garage on a shelf til the next time Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Please do smoke your Thanksgiving turkey in it.  You won't cook another turkey any other way!

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

Please do smoke your Thanksgiving turkey in it.  You won't cook another turkey any other way!

@Tigriss  OMG! Now you have me salivating...*looks for drool bib*  dahblink.gif

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling What are your favorite things to smoke? For us it's brisket! Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Oh my gosh, the best is smoked salmon, it needs to be marinated overnight, plenty of recipes online but it is so delicious, there's nothing in the stores that compare to smoking it yourself.

I've done pork chops too.  Chicken is good but I don't like the smoked skin but the meat is good

Brisket hasn't been the best, I don't think I smoke it enough, it should fall off the bone but mine never does, I like the taste but the the texture isn't that good.  Need to perfect that, maybe because the size of the brisket is different everytime and I don't take into consideration the weight, only the time..