Honored Contributor

I like both russett and Yukon Gold, so I choose whatever strikes my fancy at the time. Smiley Happy

For me, however, one of the most important parts is hand-mashing!   I don't like turning them into baby food with a mixer or any of that, as it kind of ruins the whole potato thing.  I love mashed potatoes!  

Honored Contributor

@aggravated - I would too!  Nope, don't want all that extra stuff in my mashed potatoes.

Valued Contributor

I usually use Idaho or Russet.  I always make a lot at one time and put the extra into my Foodsaver bags and freeze.  It sure is great to pull out a bag of prepared mashed potatoes and serve with a meal without all the fuss.  They always taste great.  I sometimes add just a splash of milk to them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Mashed Potatoes ?

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

I like both russett and Yukon Gold, so I choose whatever strikes my fancy at the time. Smiley Happy

For me, however, one of the most important parts is hand-mashing!   I don't like turning them into baby food with a mixer or any of that, as it kind of ruins the whole potato thing.  I love mashed potatoes!  

i use my moms vintage potato masher from cutco......stainless steel and a wooden handle......circa 1960s.

cutco1.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Re: Mashed Potatoes ?

[ Edited ]

Yukon Gold is my favorite. If they're not available, Russet is fine.

I've also used red potatoes; they give a rougher texture but I like the flavor.

After simmering and draining, I put them back in the pot for a minute or two to dry out. 

I use a ricer. (Or a hand masher if I'm in a hurry.)

I heard a chef say it's best to add butter first, and mix well. Then add liquid (milk/Half & Half/or cream). So that's what I do.

For holidays or when company is coming, we add sour cream at the end. That's my MIL's recipe. 

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

i use my moms vintage potato masher from cutco......stainless steel and a wooden handle......circa 1960s.

cutco1.jpg

I have one that looks identical to this one. Smiley Very Happy

One of the best wedding presents that I received--and that I still very much cherish to this day, because it makes me think of my most beloved Great Aunt Heart--was a box of mixed cooking utensils that she thought that a newly wedded housewife would need, and inside of it was a hand masher.

I use it any time that I make homemade mashed potatoes, and it does make the best potatoes. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

No secret recipe, we like unpeeled red potatoes with lots of butter, milk, salt and pepper.

Honored Contributor

I like Yukon Gold for mashed and Russet for baked. Just don't over whip the mashed and I like half and half for the liquid and loads of butter. Don't over bake the potatoes either.

Honored Contributor

I think the point of Tyler Florence's recipe isn't the spices, it is the fact that you don't  cook the potatoes in water, rather a cream variety.

You could use whatever spices you like, or none at all.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@aggravated, I'm with your DH - could eat mashed potatoes 24/7!  In fact, when I was a baby and would not eat baby food, my grandmother told my mother to feed me mashed potatoes to get my vitamins!  Growing up, whenever under the weather, my Mum would make me mashed potatoes.  Somehow that always made me feel better!