Esteemed Contributor

Re: Martha Stewart Slow Cooker Cookbook

@MarkeieMark

@MarkeieMark wrote:

@eddyandme Who in the world would have expected a slow cooker cookbook to be gourmet?  But that's what it is, it's gourmet. lol

I guess my question is, why did they not just come out and say it?  It doesn't make any sense.  Hate to say it, but not a big David fan now.

You're right, David should have mentioned that.  Watching the presentation, you would never dream it was gourmet.  I've also had a problem with a cleaner he always sells and it's never stated, shown, that you must dilute the cleaner for just about any/all household use! Honesty goes a long way; such omissions are dishonest!

Honored Contributor

I for one am glad to have a cookbook for some slow cooker recipes that are different from the usual dump 'em in and cook recipes that have been around for so long.

I will actually use some of these.  Most slow cooking really doesn't even require a recipe.  To me, it is a welcome change.

Occasional Contributor

I haven't ordered the book yet but definitely will be doing so now!  Sorry to hear that people were disappointed but honestly  it's Martha Stewart so if you were expecting recipes like "hot dog surprise", "spaghetti" and "sloppy joes" .....well then of course you would be surprised/disappointed.  Martha Stewart is my cooking idol, she's amazing and I fully expected her next book to be creative, well-thought out and have unexepected surprises!  I can't wait to receive my copy and I know my family and all those who benefit from my gifts of cooked food will appreciate it as well.  Martha:  never take it down a notch--we love you!

Regular Contributor

My E.D.D. date is 9/18 and I'm really looking forward to receiving this cookbook. I have not been a fan of the taste of crockpot cooking and if anyone can fix this it would be Martha. Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Felixthecat wrote:

I haven't ordered the book yet but definitely will be doing so now!  Sorry to hear that people were disappointed but honestly  it's Martha Stewart so if you were expecting recipes like "hot dog surprise", "spaghetti" and "sloppy joes" .....well then of course you would be surprised/disappointed.  Martha Stewart is my cooking idol, she's amazing and I fully expected her next book to be creative, well-thought out and have unexepected surprises!  I can't wait to receive my copy and I know my family and all those who benefit from my gifts of cooked food will appreciate it as well.  Martha:  never take it down a notch--we love you!

What took you so long?  You should have had the first signed copy.

Trusted Contributor

@trenet wrote:

You all make me glad I cancelled my order.  The only octopus I might want in my kitchen is one to use all those arms to do the work!

Heee! Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@MarkeieMark wrote:

That's funny I was wondering what was in the small box too.  I didn't have the problem, but on the fence of this whole slow cooker cookbook for sure.

Read the reviews so far, and one was funny and dead on...

" I really looked forward to getting this slow cooker cookbook. What a disappointment ! In the presentation, David or Martha one should have mentioned that this was a slow cooker cookbook for gourmet cooking.
None of these recipes are practical. I didn't expect to have to purchase octopus for a slow cooker meal. Now you know what I'm talking about. I thought it was ridiculous. I looked at a lot if the recipes hoping to find something that would interest me, and I didn't found one recipe that I would even try. I have other Martha Stewart cook books that are nice with many delicious recipes. This was such a let down that I don't care if the book was free - I'm sending it back. If you are into gourmet slow cooker cooking this book is for you. If not - don't waste your money.
"

I mean seriously, I like the size of the cookbook, but that review said it all.

@MarkeieMark

Boy we must have received different versions!  I was surprised at how few ingredients, and mostly things I have in the pantry, these recipes have.  Yes, there are some things that are different, but most of the main dish recipes are ones I will use frequently.

There are recipes that do suggest browning, not a problem if you have a Insta Pot or a slow cooker with an insert that allows browning, or don't mind washing a skillet.  The results are better or you could just throw the things in the pot in most cases.

I would hate for some of our readers to be put off by reviews suggesting the book is difficult, all about octopus (really), or too complicated for most.  I'd say give it a look-see at the store before you buy and you might find it is just the new book for busy fall season cooking!  

If you enjoy cooking, take a peek and see what YOU think!

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@MarkeieMark wrote:

That's funny I was wondering what was in the small box too.  I didn't have the problem, but on the fence of this whole slow cooker cookbook for sure.

" I really looked forward to getting this slow cooker cookbook. What a disappointment ! In the presentation, David or Martha one should have mentioned that this was a slow cooker cookbook for gourmet cooking.
None of these recipes are practical. I didn't expect to have to purchase octopus for a slow cooker meal. Now you know what I'm talking about. I thought it was ridiculous. I looked at a lot if the recipes hoping to find something that would interest me, and I didn't found one recipe that I would even try. I have other Martha Stewart cook books that are nice with many delicious recipes. This was such a let down that I don't care if the book was free - I'm sending it back. If you are into gourmet slow cooker cooking this book is for you. If not - don't waste your money.
"

@MarkeieMark

Boy we must have received different versions!  I was surprised at how few ingredients, and mostly things I have in the pantry, these recipes have.  Yes, there are some things that are different, but most of the main dish recipes are ones I will use frequently.

There are recipes that do suggest browning, not a problem if you have a Insta Pot or a slow cooker with an insert that allows browning, or don't mind washing a skillet.  The results are better or you could just throw the things in the pot in most cases.

I would hate for some of our readers to be put off by reviews suggesting the book is difficult, all about octopus (really), or too complicated for most.  I'd say give it a look-see at the store before you buy and you might find it is just the new book for busy fall season cooking!  

@Sooner 

I agree, but the only thing that could be considered a 'put off' was neither David or Martha was not all that forthcoming about some of the recipes would be on the gormet side.  It's obviouly unique, why not highlight it?

It's not that much of a stretch one might be surprised given it's a crock pot cookbook.  

Anyway, I will be keeping mine, and let you know how the octopus turns out.

Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@MarkeieMark wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@MarkeieMark wrote:

"

@MarkeieMark

@Sooner 

I agree, but the only thing that could be considered a 'put off' was neither David or Martha was not all that forthcoming about some of the recipes would be on the gormet side.  It's obviouly unique, why not highlight it?

It's not that much of a stretch one might be surprised given it's a crock pot cookbook.  

Anyway, I will be keeping mine, and let you know how the octopus turns out.

Smiley Wink

@MarkeieMark  Actually I have had octopus and it was ok. No something I'd seek out or cook myself, but not as bad as you'd think.  

But I don't see that many "gourmet" recipes: brisket and onions; beef and black bean chili; Sicilian Style Beef Stew; Beef Stroganoff; Beef and Prok Meatballs: Carne Guisada for Tacos; French Onion Panade; Meatloaf with Balsamic Glaze; Pho; Italian Pot Roast; Carbonnade (beef stew with beer): Ropa Vieja (cuban beef stew with shredded meat); Mexican Oxtail Stew; Hawaiian Style Short Ribs; New England Boiled Dinner; Italian Braised Pork; Pork Posole; Sausage and Vegetable Ciambotta (stew with Italian sausage, potatoes and green beans); Prochetta (boneless pork shoulder roastwith thyme, rosemary, sage and cloves; Chickpeas with Guanciale (pork belly); Spaghetti Bolognese; Marmalade and Vinegar Pork; Beer Braised Pork Ribs; German Style Prok Chopa; Roasted Five Spice Pork with Udon (noodles); Pullet Prok; Sausage Lasagna; etc. etc.  

Trusted Contributor

They all sound good to me, but I just don't care for Martha. I think she is pretentious and snobby. She can't even call a paper towel a paper towel. It's "paper toweling".

Did anyone ever see her when she judged Next Foodnetwork Star a few years ago? One of the contestants made sloppy joes and Martha refused to eat it. She said she doesn't eat sloppy joe's. Well she was there to judge the food and she judged it because it was apparently beneath her. 

Uhm....not to be pretentious and snobby 😉..but guanciale is actually pork cheek or jowl.