Respected Contributor

Re: MarkCharles new entertaining show

@ValuSkr wrote:

The set of 12 salt and pepper shakers seemed over-the-top.  Does each person need his/her own personal shakers?  I must be be out of it.

Party poppers are new to me.  They look like firecrackers but don't make a sound.  If I thought party favors were necessary, I hope I'd find something else,

I did order the salt and pepper shakers. It is a nice thing to do when you're entertaining at a dressy table. Then you are not interrupting the diners to pass the salt and pepper up and down the table.

I think the poppers are common in England for the holidays - like fireworks for July 4.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr 

To answer your question -- growing up (as I'm sure many of us did) my mother and aunts/grandmother set their holiday table to the 9's.  It was the only time of the year we saw the good china, silverware, glasses and of course every person had their own "personal" salt & pepper set.

These can be found at most Party stores, "A" or other places.

166A3468-F77C-46D4-9F8F-7CEDEBF4A982.jpeg

As for the poppers -- Hobby Lobby and many stores with home items carry them.  As kids we loved these things for the end of dinner--they had a little toy and filled with confetti.  

ABA3260C-3258-41FB-A5C5-66EF0BFD27D0.jpeg

I think MCM is trying to bring back "elegant" or "traditional" entertaining.  We always have poppers for the kids but we no longer do "big sit down" dinners.  We are more casual -- 

Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Dollar Tree ($1) and other places have those chargers for as little as $4.99 (with 50% off this week HL) and other stores I've seen comparable ones as they are hard  "plastic".  I noticed they didn't mention this in the description if they are glass or plastic (I'm guessing plastic)

I enjoyed the show but overpriced for things I can find elsewhere ..

Honored Contributor

My Mom always had the poppers at the Christmas dinner table.

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed the show, and am intrigued by the runners. If things were normal I would definitely order one of the sets, but I don't think we'll be entertaining anyone this year. I wish MarkCharles would make the beautiful placemats in these sets so they're not disposable.

We always have "table gifts" for Christmas dinner. My great-grandfather came here from England as a young man. My mom always did this, so I continued the tradition. We don't use poppers; we wrap small gifts for everyone. We open them right before we eat.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought that very same set of 12 mini glass salt & pepper shakers a couple of months ago (elsewhere, and less expensive, with free shipping).  I love them for breakfast in bed, and more importantly, for my 94 yr old mom who gets her meals brought to her now.  

It'll also be great for Thanksgiving when we have a couple more people coming over.  Everyone has their own set, and no need  for anyone to "stop and pass the salt."

I enjoyed Mark & Mary's show though. Great ideas.  I am still considering his marghetini glasses. 

Respected Contributor

I see the word "poppers" and I think of amyl nitrate.

I know those things as "crackers." Maybe MSM didn't want to confuse his novelty with food, so he gave them another name.

There are a lot of different kinds of crackers available online from different suppliers, if they interest you. You can find Tom Smith's and tons more on A. They're fun at a holiday dinner; I gave them out one Christmas and everyone wore the paper hats that were in theirs for the rest of the night.

Trusted Contributor

I watched a bit....I always like to get new entertaining ideas, even if they seem over the top.  Unfortunately I do think it's bad timing.  Are folks really entertaining a lot now?  We've already decided that we'll be staying home for both Thanksgiving and Christmas this year instead of risking it.  It wasn't an easy decision.... 

Regular Contributor

I have been looking for red beaded charger plates so I was happy to see them and ordered.  Had ordered other sets from other places and they have arrived with broken beads, hoping these will be intact.  I want 4 for the table setting and 2 for my mantel to highlight my white angels.  

Honored Contributor

I saw his disposable dining set for 12....I love the plates.  However this year since we're planning on having a much smaller crowd, I just may use my real china and do a sit down dinner.  For several years I've been doing the disposables (nice ones that look like china) for a larger crowd and a buffet.

I used to do the poppers/crackers when the kids were young and they were fun.  They always each had a silly paper hat that everyone wore (adults too!) along with a little toy and joke.

Honored Contributor

@aunt bea wrote:

I have been looking for red beaded charger plates so I was happy to see them and ordered.  Had ordered other sets from other places and they have arrived with broken beads, hoping these will be intact.  I want 4 for the table setting and 2 for my mantel to highlight my white angels.  

@aunt bea  That sounds lovely!