New Contributor

Re: March 17- Corned Beef and Cabbage Day Are you making this today??

Had ours yesterday for DH's birthday dinner. Today we are having corned beef sandwiches! Love making this once a year!
Trusted Contributor

I usually make corned beef & cabbage on St. Paddy's day, but my family isn't terribly keen on it, so we're having lamb stew this year instead.

Frequent Contributor

Making beef stew instead of corned beef. I add a whole bottle of stout in the stew,

Respected Contributor

No. We went out for Mexican food today lol.

Trusted Contributor

No but I had a reuben at lunch. By the way corned beef and cabbage is more of an American thing and not a deep seated Irish tradition. The dish was supposedly based on an Irish dish that included bacon but in the early 20th century in the US the dish was made to include cheap cuts of beef which was cheaper.

Most of what we think we know about St Patricks day is basically not true. Initially when celebrated in Ireland it was a dry religious holiday (pubs closed so not a drunken beer drinking party). It wasn't until early 70's that that changed once Ireland saw the tourist potential and the law changed so pubs were open and partying began over there.

Honored Contributor

I'm being lazy today, having Rueben sandwiches for supper, which I love!

Honored Contributor

We had ours last night at the towns Irish pub, right after the local St Patricks Day parade

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

We always have corn beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's day, its something fun to do, I cook mine in the oven so its roasted and real tender. I have Rhodes rolls in the oven and serve them with honey butter. For dessert I made the cream puff cake. It's a meal my family looks forward too.

Frequent Contributor

Contributor

Just finished our dinner of corned beef and cabbage with potatoes and carrots. DH doesn't like corned beef so I always throw in some kielbasa when I put the cabbage in. It was delicious.

I used my Ninja 3 in 1 cooker.