Frequent Contributor

Re: Maple-Pecan Sauce poured over Turkey

On 11/11/2014 Poodlepet said: We are having duck, and I was going to make orange sauce, but those plans just changed!! I am going to make this, but I want to tone down the sweetness a little....what do you think about adding a little tamarind or soy sauce?? Poodlepet
I think Tamarind would be beautil with it!! What a great idea!
Honored Contributor

On 11/10/2014 corita said:
On 11/10/2014 millieshops said:
On 11/10/2014 chrystaltree said:

...why spoil a perfectly good turkey with a sweet, syrupy sauce ???? It might make a good glaze for a ham.

I'm with you. I don't like sweet on my meats or poultry - not even on ham let alone turkey. Love Chinese food, but none of the dishes with the sticky sweet sauces.

I agree with you both!! I don't even like cranberry sauce on my turkey!! Pecan syrup sauce sound good for an ice cream sundae though...

+1

It just seems like WAY too much and, as the others said, would ruin a perfectly wonderful turkey. For us - brining the turkey overnight and then I make a dry rub (savory) specific to poultry and that's all I put on him besides some butter.

Respected Contributor

It would be great on a ham, but I prefer herbs on my turkey with butter or mayo stuffed with onions/shallots, lemon, celery, carrots, and peppers. I do dressing and not stuffing.

Trusted Contributor

Not for me either. I'll save my sweet pecans for the pie. I would definitely serve that on the side OP as it will be either loved or hated,lol.
Respected Contributor

On 11/11/2014 Lynneuk said: Not for me either. I'll save my sweet pecans for the pie. I would definitely serve that on the side OP as it will be either loved or hated,lol.

That reminds me. It would make a great topping for candied yams! I generally use butter and brown sugar instead of maple syrup, but pecans are super easy to get down here in Georgia. We keep ours in the freezer for all year use. We just pick them up out of the yards this time of year. We also have blueberries in the backyards all summer, so we freeze those and make blueberry cake, cobblers, and pies. We have tons of pies for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We bake throughout the year and freeze them, mostly pecan and pumpkin, but those are gathered this time of year anyway.

Respected Contributor

Nobody is saying you have to drown anything in this....and a lot of people are acting as if this is something from Mars.... IF your deli carries it, you might want to try Boar's Head Maple Turkey...if people didn't like it, they wouldn't be making it..... And now I would like to talk about John Elliott.....there are many people here who are criticizing the use of anything offensive to them... so be it...many years ago we we at an event and we ran into Bill Elliot and his lovely wife at a charity event. They were over the moon: their beautiful intelligent son just graduated from West Point and was engaged to a brilliant, beautiful woman. The world was their oyster: they had everything in the world to look forward too.....and so we ran into them, and Mrs. Elliot was beaming: yes, this was a big night, and her husband was THE spokesman for Shore Memmorial Hospital in Somers Point NJ, but she wanted to get home....she wanted to finish off making her son's favorite desserts....it was going to be a huge celebration....their son not only graduated from West Point, but he was engaged to a beautiful, intelligent young woman. Tragedy struck however.... John was killed by a drunk driver....it was one of the saddest funerals I have ever been to.... Murial Elliot was preparing food for a celebration##### Well, I have never forgotten this. One year, my beloved MIL was with us, and the next year, she was gone..... My point? Let's enjoy our food, let's drop snarky comments...this is one day out of the year, but who cares??? Treasure your family, and maybe step out of your comfort zone before criticizing others and their tastes. NONE of us know who who may be present or absent from our table.... Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

I apologize for not being able to read the entirety of that large paragraph in small font (I know it's not your fault), but it seems like the only ones being mean and snarky here are those who don't want to hear differing opinions.

I say that if somebody only wants to hear one opinion, perhaps they should make that clear up front. Meanwhile, and otherwise, people will offer differing opinions.

Heck, there are things that I like that others find repugnant. Big deal. It's nothing personal and I would never take it that way. There is no reason to personalize (like with the name-calling) something that is not personal.

Respected Contributor

CB, I agree...Hugs, and that is what we should all be doing this time of year.....I just think it's terrible that somebody takes the time to post, and then snarky comments come out. Not everything is to everyone's taste, but some are just rude. I do feel compelled to say something because this should be a friendly place. Hugs to you CB, Poodlepet