Respected Contributor

Making ice cream with a cooked pudding mix ?

I've looked online for a recipe. Wanna make cooked pudding using a mix and add extra cream. Cool it and put in ice cream maker. 

Anybody ever do this?  😊 Just wondering. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Making ice cream with a cooked pudding mix ?

[ Edited ]

I recently tried to make ice cream in the last TSV ice cream maker using 4% milk.  It was much too icy.  I'd suggest half and half and a bit of cream. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

must not had seen my no cook choc ice cream recipe taste like Wendy's Frosties.  Easy as pie. We've ate so much choc ice cream this season we're gonna never want ice cream again. LOL

Honored Contributor

I have used instant pudding mix just sprinkled in with whole milk and beaten up and some sugar and made ice cream.  I've also done it with the addition of a little half and half, cream, or evaporated milk.  If I have pasturized eggs, I've even beaten one or two of those in.  I don't have a recipe.

Esteemed Contributor

Found several recipes using both cooked and instant pudding mix but none that cooked the pudding, just used it for flavor and thickening.

Honored Contributor

Never thought about making ice cream with a cooked pudding base. I looked online & found a lot of recipes using pudding mix but not cooked pudding. Found this post on Chowhound that may help. I have made chocolate ice cream by making the cooked chocolate pudding from a mix using half-cream half-milk instead of all milk and then dropping additional chocolate (a couple of ounches of unsweetened baking chocolate) into it while it was hot, to melt. Then when the pudding cooled I added additional cream, I would say about 2 cups) and a little Amaretto and froze the mixture in an electric ice cream freezer.

Respected Contributor

I used a small box of sugar free cook and serve pudding. I used 2 cups of half and half. I let it chill then added another cup of half and half. Put it in the ice cream maker and let it churn. I let it harden, but you have to let it soften a bit to eat it. It tasted like a Wendy's frostie, just out of the maker.It was ok, but I like my vanilla mlk gelato recipe the best. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I recently tried to make ice cream in the last TSV ice cream maker using 4% milk.  It was much too icy.  I'd suggest half and half and a bit of cream. 

@Kachina624  I didn't know there was 4% milk.  We have 2,1, skim and whole, but what is 4%?  It may be regional.  I'm in the southeast.

Respected Contributor

Also, wouldn't a cooked pudding be a custard? There is frozen custard! All forms of YUM!
Honored Contributor

@Tigriss  Whole milk is 4%.  The recipes that came with the TSV ice cream maker mostly call for 1 cup of heavy cream and 1/2 cup of half/half.  It made the product so greasy I could hardly stand it so I reversed the proportions and it was much better. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment