Honored Contributor

Thanks to a thread from last year, Hoppin' John is my new NYD tradition. It's in the slow cooker now. Waiting...

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Super Contributor

I made Southern Soup Beans for the Pressure Cooker (just google it) today with cornbread. It's not black eyed peas, but it's a substitute and my husband goes crazy for them so what's luckier than that? {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor
I love pork with sauerkraut. Wish I had known because there is no way I am eating black eyed peas.
Honored Contributor

Black eyed peas for paying homage to those who have little.

Turnip greens for green (money) during the upcoming year (money) to care for the family.

Pork for the idea of becoming overly endowed monetarily so that you may be able to give to the poor.

Some chutney on the side with black eyed peas and pepper sauce to flavor the greens. Corn bread to make it more palatable.

Sweet potatoes as an accompaniment to the ham to offset the brine taste.

Trusted Contributor

New Year's Day food traditions have been discussed on several threads -- all interesting. I was surprised to see how many people eat pork and kraut on New Years's. We follow the Southern tradition of pork, collard greens, blackeyed peas, and cornbread, served with sliced fresh tomatoes, sweet onions, and pickled peppers. Just YUM! I can hardly wait for dinner!

I always heard that the collard greens stand for greenbacks and the blackeyes for coins. The traditional meal is supposed to bring prosperity in the new year.

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/1/2015 namealreadytaken said:

Black eyed peas for paying homage to those who have little.

Turnip greens for green (money) during the upcoming year (money) to care for the family.

Pork for the idea of becoming overly endowed monetarily so that you may be able to give to the poor.

Some chutney on the side with black eyed peas and pepper sauce to flavor the greens. Corn bread to make it more palatable.

Sweet potatoes as an accompaniment to the ham to offset the brine taste.

Name thank you! I never knew the significance of the dishes.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor
I like Black Eyed Pea salad; use canned black eyed peas, chopped onion, chopped tomato, chopped green or red peppers, seeded jalapeno, with oil, vinegar, sugar, and minced garlic dressing. Best chilled overnight before serving.
Valued Contributor

Black-eyed peas (seasoned with a huge ham bone and lots of meat on it), ready sitting on the stove...fried cabbage ready (seasoned with bacon, salt & pepper)..ready sitting on the stove. Raw onions has to be sliced/diced to go in the BEP's. Homemade cornbread needs to be made..NO sugar added! Tea and Original "Nilla" banana pudding for desert!

Life is good!!!!

Honored Contributor

Our traditions (most from my grandmother)

Blackeyed peas (of course)

Pork or ham - can't have poultry because ""chicken scratches backward"" ! I won't even let DH give our kitties chicken on New Year's Day.

No washing of any clothes (something about washing troubles in? - I can't remember)

Put money under the doormat the night before and bring it in New Year's Day so you'll be bringing money in all year!

And the one I don't follow:

Pickled herring on a cracker at midnight

Honored Contributor

I was born in Southern California. After going to the Rose Parade we always went to my grandparents house in Pasadena and had a picnic in backyard featuring fried chicken. The members of the family that had Rose Bowl tickets left to go to the game. Very fond childhood memory.