Esteemed Contributor

Or do you have another New Years culinary tradition?

Thanks to chickenb and MINT, I found out that pork and sauerkraut is a tradition in some households!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

Always black eyed pea chip dip. I know boiled cabbage and potatoes is a tradidion today for my friends.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

We have pork, greens, blackeyed peas, hoppin john, chow chow, cornbread.

doxie

Honored Contributor

I don't have any traditions, but I like black eyed peas. I haven't made them in decades, though.

Honored Contributor
On 1/1/2015 Doxie said:

doxie

In my family hoppin john is black eyed peas mixed w/rice.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

May I come over? I love black eyed peas and I'm making a yum yum face just typing this.

Honored Contributor

Pork is traditional for new year's day here but we do also love black eyed peas. I like the idea of the dip. I like to put BEPs in chili of course but I tend to grab 2 or 3 of any kind of beans for my chili - whatever I may have on hand.

Today however for a change I'm making stuffed cabbage rolls with pork. We haven't had these in years. Can't wait to get started on them, baking in the oven today (instead of trusty crock, although I could've done that too).

Watching the (outdr) hockey game right now. LOVE opening Billy Idol too!!! Still a cutie!

Respected Contributor
On 1/1/2015 Mz iMac said:
On 1/1/2015 Doxie said:

doxie

In my family hoppin john is black eyed peas mixed w/rice.

The recipe we use has blackened peas, rice, tomatoes, pork and seasonings. I mentioned the black eyed peas separate for the family members that eat it separate.

doxie

Trusted Contributor

I have to bring in my Southern voice here and say.......always BLACK EYED peas...

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Respected Contributor

Very Southern here - Black Eyed Peas, Ham, Boiled Cabbage and cornbread. Peas are cooking as we speak.