Respected Contributor

Re: Made the angel food cake/crushed pineapple cake, it overflowed my large bowl...Why??? lol...

For those who have made this cake can you tell me if you drain the juice from the pineapple or add the pineapple with juice.

Super Contributor

Re: Made the angel food cake/crushed pineapple cake, it overflowed my large bowl...Why??? lol...

@sann wrote:

For those who have made this cake can you tell me if you drain the juice from the pineapple or add the pineapple with juice.

I did not drain the juice; I've seen basically the same recipe other places online and it says undrained. HTH. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've made this several times, and my recipe just says to beat on low for no more than 30 seconds - just until combined. I remember that the batter really filled my mixing bowl! I only have a small electric mixer, so that's what I use.

The cake is delicious when baked and doesn't need much more than Cool Whip on top. And yes (for the person who asked), the recipe calls for the entire 20 oz can of crushed pineapple, including the juice.

Respected Contributor

I think I'm going to have to try this recipe. I used to make the one where your slice the angel food cake crosswise then fill the layers with crushed pineapple mixed with cool whip but this one sounds better.

Respected Contributor

@msh8970 wrote:

@sann wrote:

I did not drain the juice; I've seen basically the same recipe other places online and it says undrained. HTH. 

Thank you⭐

Respected Contributor

Sounds like you whipped to much air into the batter.  When I make the angel food box cake mix, if I recall correctly, it says to mix the water into the batter by hand, not with a mixer.

Super Contributor

My recipe is the cake mix, crushed pineapple undrained, a little rum, and coconut.  The chemical reaction causes it to expand.  I only use a whisk to stir.  I have never used a mixer for it.

I bake it in a bundt pan.  When cool, I remove from the pan.  I fill the center of the bundt cake with fruit overflowing.  It looks good and is a light refreshing dessert. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sann wrote:

No draining, just dump it into the cake mix.

Respected Contributor

@msh8970 wrote:

I made that simple angel food/crushed pineapple cake, and I barely begun mixing it with my Kitchenaid hand mixer and it was overflowing my Large Pyrex bowl...Why??? lol... Smiley Surprised Smiley Tongue Smiley Very Happy 

Lesson learned, use a mega-sized bowl, I am just curious as to why it basically expolded out of such a large mixing bowl..??? Smiley Surprised Smiley Embarassed Smiley Embarassed

You mixed it too long.

Respected Contributor

@sann wrote:

Don't drain. I've made this 6 times. Don't grease pan , don't over mix.