Super Contributor

Made the angel food cake/crushed pineapple cake, it overflowed my large bowl...Why??? lol...

[ Edited ]

I made that simple angel food/crushed pineapple cake, and I barely begun mixing it with my Kitchenaid hand mixer and it was overflowing my Large Pyrex bowl...Why??? lol... Smiley Surprised Smiley Tongue Smiley Very Happy 

Lesson learned, use a mega-sized bowl, I am just curious as to why it basically expolded out of such a large mixing bowl..??? Smiley Surprised Smiley Embarassed Smiley Embarassed

Respected Contributor

Re: Made the angel food cake/crushed pineapple cake, it overflowed my large bowl...Why??? lol...

Need more detail to answer. Usually angel food cake is made with a dozen egg whites,sugar, salt, cake flour beaten to soft peak. Adding crushed pineapple, seems like it would deflate the air you beat into the whites. Did you use a recipe or is this a box mix?

Honored Contributor

Re: Made the angel food cake/crushed pineapple cake, it overflowed my large bowl...Why??? lol...

@msh8970I've made the angel food cake mix +crushed pineapple many times, but have never used my mixer to do it.  All I've ever used is a fork qhich let me mix well enough to make certain it's all moist.

Sometimes I mix right in a 9X13 Pyrex 0r when I want to use my angel food pan,as you've discovered, it requires a large mixing bowl.

Super Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Need more detail to answer. Usually angel food cake is made with a dozen egg whites,sugar, salt, cake flour beaten to soft peak. Adding crushed pineapple, seems like it would deflate the air you beat into the whites. Did you use a recipe or is this a box mix?

It is literally just the box mix and a 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple, no other ingredients. Not sure if this link is allowed, but the recipe here said to use a hand mixer.. 

https://www.eatingonadime.com/pineapple-angel-food-cake-recipe/ 

Honored Contributor

Not an expert, but by hand mixer, I think they meant a rotary one that we called an "egg beater" when I was a kid. As I read the recipe, I never even thought of an electric mixer.

Respected Contributor

1. How large is your "large" Pyrex bowl?

2. Your probably mixed it for too long - the boxed angel cake mixes expand very quickly - the directions just said mix well.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Not an expert, but by hand mixer, I think they meant a rotary one that we called an "egg beater" when I was a kid. As I read the recipe, I never even thought of an electric mixer.

I don't think so. A hand mixer these days means a hand held electric mixer. If the recipe meant egg beater it would have said so.

Super Contributor

@froggy wrote:

1. How large is your "large" Pyrex bowl?

4 quart 

2. Your probably mixed it for too long - the boxed angel cake mixes expand very quickly - the directions just said mix well.

Actually I mixed it barely not even 90 seconds, lol..which is why I am so puzzled..it's as thought it immediately ballooned (mixed on the lowest speed allowed on my hand mixer)

Super Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

I don't think so. A hand mixer these days means a hand held electric mixer. If the recipe meant egg beater it would have said so.

Interesting note about the egg beaters..I still have a pair and love using them, lol..

I will just use a mega sized bowl next time..

I was just wondering why/the science behind this.. I know angel food cake does increase in volume, but this was crazy seeing it blow up out of the bowl.. Been baking over 30 years and it just made me go hmmm...  

Thanks for all the replies!! 

Honored Contributor

Call Betty Crocker and ask her.  We don't know.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment