Frequent Contributor

Made David Venable's Smore Dirt Cake today

I made David's dirt cake today--it was so sweet-I had one bite and had to say "no more". It looked absolutely beautiful, but it was cloyingly sweet. My husband, son and two grandkids loved it. Hubby said he would have liked it better without the chocolate chips. Anyone else made it?

Occasional Contributor

Re: Made David Venable's Smore Dirt Cake today

I made it for dessert for a party yesterday. Agree, it's very impressive looking, but way too sweet. And sugar is my favorite "food group". Almost everyone ate it, but did comment on how sweet it is. I tossed all leftovers and will not make it again.

Respected Contributor

I don't have the recipe, but is there a way to 'tone down' the sweetness? I absolutely love s'mores, but if it's way too sweet than I probably will only want a tiny piece.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

That is a good question, Topaz. I wonder the same! I have had this recipe sitting on my counter. Almost made it the other day.

While my DH loves sweet...he isn't keen on marshmellow anything. DD loves s'mores but we are both watching what we eat these days.

If I can't make DH eat the leftovers...this might be a bust! I was going to make it w/ chocolate layers too...that might make my teeth fall out!

Thanks so much for the warning...I have to think on this now b4 I attempt to make/eat it.

Super Contributor

Okay, how about this?

1. Use plain grahams, plus a bit of grated 80% or baker's dark chocolate for color

2. Make your own custard and use less sugar, instead of boxed instant pudding

3. Leave out the marshmallow creme and just use cream cheese (or mascarpone) with the custard

4. Use dark chocolate chips or crushed pieces instead of milk chocolate.

5. Top with some of the custard instead of the marshmallows (maybe just a few marshmallows tucked in somewhere else so you can still say it's 'smores) The custard will brown like creme brûlée.

Any of these changes would make it less sweet, and taste better too, maybe, especially if you love dark chocolate.

Respected Contributor

On 6/17/2014 Kay SD said:

Okay, how about this?

1. Use plain grahams, plus a bit of grated 80% or baker's dark chocolate for color

2. Make your own custard and use less sugar, instead of boxed instant pudding

3. Leave out the marshmallow creme and just use cream cheese (or mascarpone) with the custard

4. Use dark chocolate chips or crushed pieces instead of milk chocolate.

5. Top with some of the custard instead of the marshmallows (maybe just a few marshmallows tucked in somewhere else so you can still say it's 'smores) The custard will brown like creme brûlée.

Any of these changes would make it less sweet, and taste better too, maybe, especially if you love dark chocolate.

Those are all great suggestions, thanks!

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Frequent Contributor

Those are all wonderful suggestions, but I doubt if I would ever make it again.

Regular Contributor

Made Smore Cake today for a family dinner. They loved it! No one refused to take some home with them! I did not have torch to finish top marshmallows so I put groups of five or six mallows on parchment paper lined pan and put under broiler. carefully transferred to top of cake! Several people asked for recipe.

Honored Contributor

Might be a stupid question...but I don't have a torch either.

Can you use one of those Bic Candle Lighters? The ones w/ the bendy long nozzle?

My DD wants me to make this for her despite the warning!

Honored Contributor

If I attempted this recipe I would try and make a much smaller version or individual ones and give them to neighbors; I would just put a few mini marshmallows on top that I brown to call it s'mores.