Esteemed Contributor

Mad Hungry Bamboo Spurtle Set - Just as good?

I own the acacia wood spurtles, and I have been waiting for the full set to come back in acacia wood. Now Stacy is offering a bamboo set. But it looks like the strips of wood have been glued together. The acacia seems to be carved out on one piece of wood. I would think the one piece spirtles would hold up better. What do you think?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mad Hungry Bamboo Spurtle Set - Just as good?

Purchased the silicone TSV set and would never every consider the wood.

They 8 piece spurtle set is amazing (who knew)

In my younger cooking days had all of the beauiful wood pieces for serving and cooking. They really were not worth the work except they were pretty.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm with @hopi....I bought the big silicone Spurtle set last year and haven't used anything else since! I've had wood utensils years ago and just didn't use them enough to keep them. The silicone set works so well for me - it's all I use.

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1  and @hopi  I have been thinking about the silicone spurtles, but I still like the feel of wood in my hand. I will probably break down and buy the silicone set at some point.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@jannabelle1  and @hopi  I have been thinking about the silicone spurtles, but I still like the feel of wood in my hand. I will probably break down and buy the silicone set at some point.

@PA Mom-mom 

I agree that the acacia wood is better than the bamboo....I HAD both.

I say had because all my wood spurtles eventually started to split and sliver.  Some within the first year when they were under warranty (which I was unable to replace).

I never, ever put wood in the dishwasher and dry them immediately after washing.  Yet, I could see the little splits and wood frays...a bamboo did split right down the seam.

I switched to silicone too.  No problems there...but I remember reading about issues with the black ones.

I have red and they are fantastic.  No more wood for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased the set of three in the acacia and loved them. I found that I was reaching for them more and more. I then ordered the full set in the acacia. Love them and am glad I have them. The reviews on the bamboo and the silicone sets were mixed when I was purchasing. I'm not a big fan of bamboo but everyone has their favorites. I use mine every day. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Fressa  I use mine every day as well! I am always finding new uses for them. I have had no issues with the acacia wood so far...well, I did accidentally burn the handle on a little spurt when it got too close to the burner. Uh oh!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hopi wrote:

Purchased the silicone TSV set and would never every consider the wood.

GThey 8 piece spurtle set is amazing (who knew)

In my younger cooking days had all of the beauiful wood pieces for serving and cooking. They really were not worth the work except they were pretty.

@hopi 

Why would you never ever consider the wood spurtles?

Are the wood spurtles bad quality?   

Where are the wood and silicone spurtles made?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@EatWell ,

Have owned many beautiful wood serving pieces and utensils .  They need special care to last, keep their beauty, and be sanitary. Dishwasher is not usable.

Should mention I have about 12 18/10 stainless steel utensils that are about 15 years old.  They look sparkling, brand new and the only thing needed is to throw them in the dishwasher after using....

Purchased the silicone spurtles only for my few coated pans.  It is necessary to own coated pans for cooking certain dishes.

My main cooking set is 18/10 stainless steel that also is perfect after all these years with not a stain or blemish.  You can use SS to bake but  have ceramic ware and glass bake items.

This has just been my experience and observation over my many years of cooking.

Eta:  That 8 piece silicone set is just fun, They have pieces that are so practical and fun stuff, so use it with my SS, baking to reach into small jars, cans reaching for stuff in the back of the cabinet and more.  It was more than worth the money as the TSV.

Esteemed Contributor

@hopi - I agree with you—I started off with bamboo utensils many years ago because they were so beautiful and coordinated with all the light wood in my kitchen, but they just require too much upkeep to be worthwhile, and even if you really baby them, they still have a tendency to warp and split. I much prefer spoonulas to spurtles, but I like the idea of the silicone over metal to provide versatility and flexibility. I've ended up keeping only the long skinny silicone spurtle for deep jars; the rest have all been given away.