Honored Contributor

MAKING FIRST SOUP OF THE SEASON

It is a cool 61 degrees in PNW, air is so horrible you can't go outside so I am making my first pot of soup for the season.  I have frozen homemade chicken stock, some vegetable, cheese tortellini and a Costco rotisserie chicken.  I am all set.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MAKING FIRST SOUP OF THE SEASON

[ Edited ]

I love soup!...Hubby won't eat it unless it is so cold... the furnace is on...LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne  Making soup always makes me feel more emotionally stable and at peace. I've been following the reports of the fires today, and am so saddened by the devastation. Hang in there, and it sounds like a good soup!

Respected Contributor

No summer soups for you? Gazpacho, corn chowder, chilled summer borscht?

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne  My sister-in-law is baking bread today from a recipe I gave her.  I texted back it is getting to be homemade soup weather here in Minneapolis. I hate when the trees lose their bright spring green color in favor of twinges of yellow, orange and red. It is a sure sign of what is to come.

Enjoy your soup. It sounds delish!

Respected Contributor

As a child I use to love when my mom made home made vegetable soup.

Super Contributor

@DiAnne   that sounds perfect.  I am looking forward to soups.  Love the leftovers for easy meals during the week.  

Honored Contributor

I went out to eat yesterday (in PA) and it was a bit chilly out.  I got half a sandwich and a cup of soup.  Had mushroom barley and it was so good!

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne Homemade soup says mom to me!  My mother would can tomatoes for the winter and they would be delicious.  She put evrything in hers and even used a few instant potato flakes to make the soup part just a little more hardy.  Mom always made homemade biscuits with egg for her chicken and dumplings.  I hope you enjoy your soup!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I made a new soup this week, Red Lentil Soup from The Kitchn website. I had just received some red lentils from Bob's Red Mill.

I love that this soup is simple and basic. I have lentil soup recipes with tomatoes, spices, and spinach, etc. This one lets the lentils shine.

I added 1/2 cup extra broth, because we like soupier soups.

RED LENTIL SOUP

YIELD Serves 4

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large carrot, diced (I used 2)
  • 2 large stalks celery, diced
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
  • 1 cup dried red lentils
  • 4 cups water or low-sodium broth (I used Swansons Natural Goodness low sodium chicken broth)
  • 1 whole bay leaf
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1/2 large lemon)
  • For serving: Olive oil, yogurt, or other topping (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

*Rinse and drain lentils in a mesh strainer or colander.

Heat the olive oil. In a medium (2- to 3-quart) saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add the carrot, celery, onion, and salt and stir to combine. Cover and let the vegetables sweat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add the lentils, water or broth, and bay leaf and bring up to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer, covered, until the lentils begin to fall apart, about 20 minutes.

Turn off the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Taste and season with salt as needed. Ladle into bowls and serve with toppings if desired.

RECIPE NOTES

More topping options: To perk up the soup just before serving, top it with a drizzle of peppery olive oil, a dollop of plain yogurt, a sprinkle of sumac, or a spoonful of gremolata.

Recipe variations: This recipe is pared down to just the basics — you can certainly add a teaspoon of garam masala, Italian herbs, or any other seasoning blend to spice things up a bit if you like. Just add the spices in along with the lentils and broth.