Respected Contributor

Re: MAKING FIRST SOUP OF THE SEASON

@wagirl wrote:

@peachesncream --you bet! the recipe

came from a Delish mag that was at the check out at my grocery store earlier this year. Nothing but all sorts of soups and I have been cooking from it alot--

CHEESEBURGER SOUP

I will definitely be trying this. Thanks so much!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl wrote:

@peachesncream --you bet! the recipe

came from a Delish mag that was at the check out at my grocery store earlier this year. Nothing but all sorts of soups and I have been cooking from it alot--

CHEESEBURGER SOUP

3-slices bacon

1 onion, chopped

2 stalks celery diced

2 carrots, finely diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 lb ground beef

salt/black pepper

2 tbsp yellow mustard

1- 16 oz can diced toms, drained

3 c low sodium chicken stock/broth

2 c shredded cheese plus more for garnish

1 c half n half

3 tbsp  flour

1) in large pot saute up the bacon till crisp. Drain  on a paper towel.

2) Add the veggies to the bacon fat and saute for about 5 mins then add the garlic and saute until fragrant.

3)  Add the meat and cook until no longer pink.  Drain the fat, if there is any

4)  stir in the toms, broth, mustard  and let cook about 10 minutes, lower the temp and stir in the half/half, cheese and flour. Cook til cheese is melted and soup is thickened, about 15 minutes on low.

The bacon is for garnish. and taste before you salt it--I add a bunch of pepper tho. Also can add red chili flakes , which I do, for a little kick.

Now------my DD does not eat/drink dairy, so I have adapted this for her. I use almond milk and no cheese or half/half at all., I add cheese to my bowl later. Another thing, I don't drain the toms and I squirt a bit of catsup at the end of the process, cuzz I think it needs a little sweetness. I also chop up dill pickles for garnish and DD adds a bit of pickle juice to hers. Also I shake up the almond milk with the flour and make a slurry. 

And --all the chopping--I use my little chopper for that.  Saves time by alot .  last time I made this, I had a bit of ground pork that I added and---- holy cow--- was it good.

And best of all, this soup taste better the next day.

@wagirl @peachesncream,  You can get the magazine online.  I googled Delish magazine soups. It also has a beautiful photo of your Cheeseburger Soup and all the others. Thanks!

@wagirl @peachesncream , I forgot to say when you google, I clicked on the 60 plus Fall soup recipes then compared your recipe here to make sure I had the right group.

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 ---oh thats great! I tried to find the recipe online but couldn't for some reason. Haven't tried the soup pictured on the cover altho I am going too!!!! the Italian wedding soup is REALLY good too!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I make soups all year round. Yesterday made a potatoe soup in my Instant Pot and had grilled ham sammies made on homemade  Carolina rice bread. Made a cheesburger soup last week that is to die for and then a big pot of chili---

@wagirl  Can you share your IP potato soup recipe, and how long does it cook?

Honored Contributor

@deb5555 ----look up instant pot potato soup on google---so many to choose there. Mine was ok as I have to make it dairy free for DD. all tha dairy makes it so much tastier.  You dice spuds and throw it in the pot with the other things except the cream  and cheese and I think it took 10 minutes. Try Baked Potatoe soup---that sounded amazing.

Honored Contributor

@deb5555  This is my hair stylist's recipe for Instant Pot potato soup.  The other stylist's rave about how tasty it is.  I asked her for the recipe in case I ever bought an Instant Pot:

1 tbsp butter

1/2 cup chopped onion

2 tsp minced garlic

2 lbs red potatoes cut into 1/2" pieces

3 cups chicken broth

1 tbsp dried parsley

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

4 oz softened cream cheese

1/3 cup flour

2 cups milk

2 cups shredded sharp cheddar

1 cup corn

Melt butter on Saute setting and cook onions and garlic until starting to soften.  Stir in potatoes, 1 cup broth, parsley, salt, and pepper.  Cook covered on High pressure for 4 minutes.  Quick release the pressure.

Use blender to process cream cheese, flour, milk, and 2 cups broth until smooth.  Stir into Pot set on Saute and cook until soup simmers and gets thicker.

Stir in cheddar cheese until melted.  Stir in corn to heat.

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter I just made your hair sytlist's ip potato soup recipe, it was just delicious ty again, the only change I made was  I used 10 small red potatoes and 1 head of cauliflower cut up.  I will be making this on my regular schedule!  It tasted so similar to my Grandma's potato soup. 

Honored Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

@deepwaterdotter I just made your hair sytlist's ip potato soup recipe, it was just delicious ty again, the only change I made was  I used 10 small red potatoes and 1 head of cauliflower cut up.  I will be making this on my regular schedule!  It tasted so similar to my Grandma's potato soup. 

Good to know, glad it worked out for you.