Respected Contributor

Low carb substitute for graham crackers and powdered sugar

I am trying to adapt some of my recipes to make them lower in carbs. Does anyone know of any low carb substitutes for graham crackers and/or powdered sugar?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Respected Contributor

Re: Low carb substitute for graham crackers and powdered sugar

I don't cook much, but I think something like crushed almonds or crackers made with almond flour and some flavoring/spices might mimic the graham crackers or at least be a good substitute. You might also just get some low-carb cookies or crackers and use those. I have no idea what could sub for the confectioner's sugar.

Honored Contributor

I used the below once for my Mom. She was not allowed to have pie crust of any kind sweet or savory. It was o.k. and she like it fine to especially since it did have pumpkin pie as the filling but of course not the same as regular pie crust. Not sure where oatmeal and coconut stand on carb. values.

Oatmeal-Coconut Crust

1 cup rolled oats

1/2 cup flaked coconut

1/3 cup softened butter

1/4 cup brown sugar.

Toast oats in a shallow pan at 375 degrees about 7 minutes until golden. Mix in coconut, softened butter, and sugar. Press into 9 inch pie dish

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

Found this from the Splenda website for powdered sugar substitute:

INGREDIENTS
  • 3/4 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
DIRECTIONS
  1. Place ingredients in blender jar. Cover and blend until SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener is a very fine powder.

2. Use instead of powdered sugar for garnishing cakes and pastries.

Honored Contributor

On 12/8/2014 orange said:

INGREDIENTS
  • 3/4 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
DIRECTIONS
  1. Place ingredients in blender jar. Cover and blend until SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener is a very fine powder.

2. Use instead of powdered sugar for garnishing cakes and pastries.

I use splenda for myself instead of powdered sugar and s. condensed milk and I have always liked it. But this week-end I tried for the first time a sugar free maple syrup in stead of splenda for my no-bake cheesecake. It was good. Still used the vanilla, lemon juice and fat-free crème cheese. The syrup is only 15 calories for 1/4 cup. I was very pleased.

Honored Contributor

What's the powdered sugar for? An ingredient in a recipe?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

On 12/8/2014 beckyb1012 said:
On 12/8/2014 orange said:

INGREDIENTS
<ul> <li class="ingredient">3/4 cup SPLENDA<sup>®</sup> No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated</li> <li class="ingredient">2 tablespoons cornstarch</li> </ul>
DIRECTIONS
<ol> <li class="instruction">

Place ingredients in blender jar. Cover and blend until SPLENDA<sup>®</sup> Granulated Sweetener is a very fine powder.

</li> <li class="instruction">

Use instead of powdered sugar for garnishing cakes and pastries.

</li> </ol>

I use splenda for myself instead of powdered sugar and s. condensed milk and I have always liked it. But this week-end I tried for the first time a sugar free maple syrup in stead of splenda for my no-bake cheesecake. It was good. Still used the vanilla, lemon juice and fat-free crème cheese. The syrup is only 15 calories for 1/4 cup. I was very pleased.

OH YES! I love sugar free maple syrup - what I do is put steel cut oats, apples, walnuts in a small crockpot overnight (with almond milk) and in the morning add cinnamon and sugar free syrup to add a bit of flavor - YUM!

Honored Contributor

sugar free maple syrup? How is that even possible?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 12/8/2014 beckyb1012 said:

I used the below once for my Mom. She was not allowed to have pie crust of any kind sweet or savory. It was o.k. and she like it fine to especially since it did have pumpkin pie as the filling but of course not the same as regular pie crust. Not sure where oatmeal and coconut stand on carb. values.

Oatmeal-Coconut Crust

1 cup rolled oats

1/2 cup flaked coconut

1/3 cup softened butter

1/4 cup brown sugar.

Toast oats in a shallow pan at 375 degrees about 7 minutes until golden. Mix in coconut, softened butter, and sugar. Press into 9 inch pie dish

Oats are carbs and so is the brown sugar

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

On 12/9/2014 jaxs mom said:

sugar free maple syrup? How is that even possible?

I was shocked a few weeks ago when I found it at Walmart. Not sure the name of the brand I know it is one I have never heard of. Not at home so I cannot check. I am enjoying it on many items. Just drizzle here or there.