Honored Contributor

Re: Low carb ice cream HOLY COW!

Y'all should look into HungryGirl(dotcom)..........It's a "healthy" diet newsletter with all the "latest" foods.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Personally, I don't fall for the "Net Carb" lingo.  I'm a diabetic and a carb is a carb.  I had never heard of this brand so I googled the Nutrition Label for this ice cream.  It's basically the same as any old ice cream.....15 (give or take) grams per serving (1/2 cup).

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Regular Contributor

I really appreciate that some of the varieties of Enlightened have no sugar. I like the taste of it!

Honored Contributor

I buy Carb Smart at my local grocery or Walmart.  It is low carb and delicious.  I have tried,chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and Butter Pecan.  They are all good and between 3 and 4 carbs a 1/2 cup serving.

Trusted Contributor

I'm a fan of Bobby Parrish on Youtube, and he did a video recently on grocery store ice cream (including the low carb versions). Kind of interesting about all the ingredients that are in some ice cream out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcdk0YIZYUY

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Frequent Contributor

Check out Rebel Creamery.  It is low carb and sold here at Publix.  It is low carb and keto friendly if anyone is following the keto diet.  I am not strictly keto but I have lost 58lbs since the end of Jan by cutting out the white stuff and carbs when I can.  This ice cream is really good!  You have to let it set out for about 20 min but it does get creamy.  The coffee chip is my favorite so far.  I agree with the person who said Halo was terrible.  I tried that one awhile back and threw it away...terrible.  

Honored Contributor

@sueeich wrote:

My daugher has been wanting me to buy the Halo Top ice cream because she was curious about the claims.  I guess you can eat the whole pint for only 340 calories.  Well, I finally purchased it when it was a BOGO at Publix recently.  We purchased the chocolate chip cookie dough and chocolate chip flavors.  I'm reallly glad I got it as a BOGO because it's terrible!  I would never purchase it again.  It tastes fake and icy not creamy.  I'd rather eat real ice cream every once in a while than eat this garbage everyday.  The one "lower calorie" ice cream I can recommend is Edy's Slow Churned.  It's lower in calories than their regular ice cream but it's creamy and delicious and tastes like regular ice cream.  You still have to be careful about how much you eat, however.  If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

@sueeich LOVE Edy's!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rebel is the way to go .

Honored Contributor

I've tried a few of the Halo Top desserts .....  280 calories for the whole pint .... hey, sometimes you want a whole pint.   I think strawberry was the best ...  black cherry was pretty good,  too.

Respected Contributor

I was hesitant to try the Halo ice cream after reading so many negative reviews about it.

Looking at all the ice cream during my last shopping trip at Walmart I decided to just give it a try.    Since I'm a chocolate fan I bought the plain chocolate variety and my husband purchased the peach.  

Both of us were pleasantly surprised by how much we liked it.   We understood that it wouldn't have the full-flavored taste of regular ice cream but it wasn't terrible.

Neither of us are big ice cream lovers so just having a little bit here and there is sufficient for us.  

I would not hesitate to purchase it again.