Respected Contributor

Low Carbers, I have a ? about whipping cream.

I wanted to use whipping cream to make some sugar free chocolate pudding. So I put 1 cup cream and 1 c water and made the pudding. It tasted so rich like chocolate mousse.

Next time I wanted to dilute the cream so it is more like milk. Anybody do this?

How about 1/2 c cream and 1 1/2 c water?? Any other ideas about this??

Honored Contributor

Re: Low Carbers, I have a ? about whipping cream.

I don't understand why you're questioning whipping cream as it pertains to low carb? Heavy whipping cream is low in carbs, to begin with.

Respected Contributor

I have heard that low carbers do this to create a more milk like consistency. Check the carbs on the package though. If I remember correctly, even SF pudding mix is all carbs.
Super Contributor

I haven't tried that, Barbarainnc. I'm just wondering (if it's not too personal)...are you on Atkins, a ketogenic diet, or diabetic? Are you using Jello instant sugar-free chocolate pudding mix.

I have a friend who is just starting a ketogenic diet, and this sounds like a recipe she would love. Thanks for posting it! I'll have to pass it on.

Edited to add that the Jello sugar free instant chocolate fudge pudding mix only has 8 carbs per serving.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Respected Contributor

Trying to eat "NO SUGAR, NO STARCH" and no more than 20 grams of carbs a day. I saw somewhere on the net where they used whipping cream instead of milk because it has no carbs. I just wanted to dilute the cream to make the pudding. Just wanting some chocolate.

Respected Contributor

8 carbs per serving is considered high for low carbers. When you figure that 30 to 50 net carbs per day is all that most low carbers eat, 8 carbs is between 16 and 26 percent of your daily total.

If you are in induction, you are only allowed around 20 per day. Barbarainnc, since you are sticking with the 20 net carbs per day, you may want to stay away from the SF pudding mix. If you are doing Atkins, you are limited to 1/2 cup of cream for the day while in induction. One thing I do like is to take 1/2 cup of cream, 1 tbsp of cocoa power, 1 tbsp of sweetener and whip it until it is mousse. Delicious!

Or, you could try an Atkins shake. The chocolate ones are very tasty and can fill that craving.

Esteemed Contributor

(I would insure that I was heart-healthy, before using heavy whipping cream. It's just that a low or no carb food plan can be heart and kidney unfriendly. Just concerned.)

Super Contributor

On 2/6/2015 sfnative said:

(I would insure that I was heart-healthy, before using heavy whipping cream. It's just that a low or no carb food plan can be heart and kidney unfriendly. Just concerned.)

Absolutely! That is my concern about these diets. How do you prevent all these fats from clogging your coronary and carotid arteries? Also, these diets are high in protein. Protein is very hard on the kidneys. You really have to make sure that you drink a lot of water if you are on a high protein diet.

I have a nephew who lost 100 pounds on a ketogenic diet (high protein and fat/low carbs), but it was medically supervised. He had frequent lab work done.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Esteemed Contributor

First you are my kind of gal. My ONLY dessert these days is Jello Sugar free pudding. One cherry, and a push or so from the fat free whipped cream on top. Works for me. I have lost all kind of weight. No more dessert. No carbs others that fruit. I have cut out the sugar free drinks... setting me up for craving sugar (I can only prove it for me)

And I AM NOT STARVING. Because I am 5 feet tall I am allowed 1000 calories. Used to say under 1200 metabolism slows. NOT IN MY CASE. Without the sugar stuff, carbs no more cravings. No more crazy snacks. And no more MEDS... OFF OFF OFF. I thought Doctor was going to throw me a party he was soooo delighted.

Respected Contributor

Low carb is high fat and moderate protein. There are many studies showing that low carb high fat diets are very healthy. If course, everyone should tell their doctor what they eat. Mine have never had an issue with it. The best thing about it is that my blood sugar never goes above 126. I don't have the roller coaster that eating too many carbs causes. I've never been diagnosed as diabetic and I want to stay that way. Diabetes is a huge risk factor for heart disease and kidney failure.