Respected Contributor

Re: Loving Paula Deen on Evine

@momtochloe----I think Evine's prices on food are out of control........Did you, or anyone, see the 3 lbs of crab legs, IN THE SHELL, at $160 ? Someone is out of their mind ! 

Respected Contributor

I have no recollection of either Dupree or Child licking their fingers while cooking or presenting food......Paula's habits are truly gag worthy...things I would never do when cooking for my family.

Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

I have no recollection of either Dupree or Child licking their fingers while cooking or presenting food......Paula's habits are truly gag worthy...things I would never do when cooking for my family.

To be honest @Danky I think Paula's unrelenting insistance to be the center of attention at whatever cost is truly her downfall.  If she could just let folks do what they do and allow others to share in the spotlight I think people may be more interested in watching her again but she just cannot help herself.  If there is a spotlight available, she will do whatever it takes to make sure she is under it.

Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

And sorry @Danky I got sidetracked with PD but neither of those lovely women ever displayed any gross behavior in the kitchen but then again they never made their kitchen/show be about themselves.

Valued Contributor

Worse that Wolfgang? Her high fat foods make me cringe. She hasn't learned a thing

Honored Contributor

I was a fan of Paula's in the earliest years of her television cooking shows---when she came across very calm, sweet, and friendly like a nice neighbor.   Success brought endorsements, and then changes to her shows, but the one thing I couldn't handle anymore was the loud, bold change in her.  However, I still think Paula Deen is a good person, with a kind heart.  

Two weeks ago, my oldest daughter and my nephew vacationed in Savannah, and met Paula and her entire family at their restaurant.   After that memorable afternoon, my daughter texted to tell me about the experience, and made the comment she received a "family hug" from Paula.   I come from a family of huggers, and we are what I call "sincere huggers".   This term was established when this daughter was about 8, and commented on the difference between hugs from my side of the family, compared to hugs from her dads side of the family.   She always said the hugs from her dads family were empty hugs; given totally without warmth and feeling, but my family gave warm, sincere hugs that made you feel good.  

It made my heart smile to hear my daughter describe the hug she got from Paula.   The pictures taken of my daughter and nephew with Paula and her family are very nice, full of smiles, and remind me of family reunion pictures.   Paula's interest in where they were from, their relationship, the hand clasps, genuine heartfelt smiles, and eye to eye contact made that meeting very special.   

I for one, choose not to hang onto any negativity towards Paula Deen.    

Honored Contributor

I have her cookbook Bible; some of the best Southern recipes I have ever tasted- more to the point- some of them are exactly what my Daddy would cook or his sister or the Church Ladies when he and I would go to visit his family back home.

You don't eat the high fat/sugar things every day; it's a Special Occasion. Salt and frying was used for a reason back in the days when preserving food was something that had to be done but with limited resources.

As for cooking and tasting and all that; yeah, I don't like it but I know many a cook who does it when cooking for the family and no one is the wiser. Just saying....

Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

@momtochloe----I think Evine's prices on food are out of control........Did you, or anyone, see the 3 lbs of crab legs, IN THE SHELL, at $160 ? Someone is out of their mind ! 

But the shells are cracked.  I guess that makes all the difference???

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Having spent quite a bit of time in the South at times over the years, I do not think there is anything "fake" about Paula's strong accent.  I've met plenty of people who talk that way.

DH was born and raised in GA and has a fairly strong accent himself.........his friends down there have much stronger ones.

Not all born-raised Southerners talk that way, however. My DIL was born and raised in GA, but has only the slightest accent.

If you want to hear some strange  and strong accents, spend some time in eastern North Carolina, extreme western North Carolina, the Tidewater area of Virginia---and how can we overlook the Boston accent up north????

My husband's smart-alecky standard reply to anyone who hears him talk and asks where he's from is .....New York City.

Honored Contributor

I think the reason that many find her over-the-top, syrupy accent to be so fake is that when she was first on tv she just had a regular southern accent.

As time went on, it changed a LOT.   I found her mildly annoying at first but as she changed she became insufferable, and that new accent was just strange compared to what it was before that.

I'm clearly not a fan. as I find her to be vile.   But the accent is just a different thing.  The change was remarkable.   I don't see that as a network asking her to do that or anything.  I always saw it as her trying to get more attention, in the somewhat awkward way she did because that seemed to make sense to her.   After the accent went on high speed, then she became more constantly sexual and forward toward her guests, to the point that it really was embarrassing.

The bigotry thing, at least once people found about her many years of bigoted practices, just became the straw that broke the camel's back because, while some people would tolerate the awful way she acted, most of us would NOT tolerate bigotry.

She is a lot like W. Puck in the kitchen with the filthy practices.  I think she was pretty much always that way.