Super Contributor

Looking to purchase a slow cooker

I've been looking into purchasing a slow cooker.. From my research, the inside is made of ceramic.. I was looking for one that states the ceramic is lead free.. I could be wrong; but it's been my understanding that ceramic cookware has lead in it..

Several years ago, my girlfriend bought from QVC the Cooks Essential cooker.. She paid about $200 or just a little less..

Any input would kindly be appreciated... 

Honored Contributor

Re: Looking to purchase a slow cooker

@classic

I typed lead free slow cookers into Amazon search bar and a few were listed. 

Super Contributor

@butterfly123

Thank you!! ... I don't shop Amazon, but, I will definitely take a look & see what I can find.. 

Much thanks for the quick reply; I really appreciate it..

On a different note, I love your daily thoughts you post.. Thank You for taking the time to post them ..

Honored Contributor

@classic

The website vitaclaychef dot com does have their models on sale right now. 

Thank you for the information about lead. I was reading on the above mentioned website and found the information very informative. 

Super Contributor

@butterfly123

Great, I will look into that one .. TY

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@classic - Although there are some slow cooker inserts that use small amounts of lead in their glazes, this practice is not as common today as it was a few decades ago—in fact, recent studies have shown that your glassware is likely to have higher levels of lead in it than a ceramic or stoneware slow cooker vessel. What you really need to watch out for are products that are antique, vintage, or handmade, since those items are not necessarily created in compliance with or tested for specific lead-safe standards.

If you're looking into slow cookers for convenience, one solution that might be appealing is the multicooker, which offers options for slow cooking, pressure cooking, and other features that can save you time in the kitchen. Most of these cookers have metal inserts, so there would be no leaded glazes to worry about. If this sounds interesting to you, just browse through the kitchen forums here for more information, as there have been several recent threads discussing various versions such as the Instant Pot, QVC's Cook's Essentials products, and other popular brands.

And you should definitely be able to get even a fancy slow cooker for around $50 or a multicooker for around $100, so be sure to shop around!

Happy cooking... Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@classic  I have several ceramic slow cookers and never use them anymore since I got a Ninja multicooker.  The insert pot is not ceramic and less bulky.   You can brown meat before slow cooking , works as a stove top cooking device, oven baking, slow cooker, steamer, steam roasting, warming and is far more versatile than a plain old slow cooker.   I have chipped my ceramic ones and even had to buy a replacement for one that fell and broke.  It's worth checking out. (K48085)

Highlighted
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC Retail Link to outside retailer.

Respected Contributor

Hamilton Beach makes a great 6 qt with a meat probe.  If you go to your local Bed Bath & Beyond you can purchase it using the 20% off with no shipping.  Some stores have them or they will order it for you.  Makes it a great deal.  The last Crock Pot brand I bought had an electrical that caused it to overheat.  When I returned found out most of the models were having the same issue.  I won't ever trust them again.

Respected Contributor

I love my Ninja slow cooker.  But it does not have a ceramic insert.  Its metal and I prefer it.  Ive had ceramic and they sometimes get cracks in them.