Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for something to store fresh potatoes in

@qualityshopper wrote:

Thanks everyone for all of the great recommendations. Wish I could store them somewhere besides inside of the sink cabinet, but this is a very, very old house and there just isn't any other place. My mom kept them there for years in the same plastic tub. Guess the problem now is that there's just my sister and myself so we're not eating potatoes that often. We don't have a dishwasher, so hopefully the potatoes don't get too hot there, plus the doors on the cabinet don't fit very tightly, so some air gets in.

I've tried looking for some metal bins, but so far, they've all been too big. I would love to use containers that you can put on your countertop (like the one made by The Pioneer Woman) or the wire baskets you can either set on the floor or mount to a wall, but we truly have no place to put these. There are a few plastic ones on Amazon that might work out for putting in my cabinet, but I haven't decided. A couple of choices are made by a company called Bino (clear plastic), and then there's the JapanBargain Japanese stackable bin that looks interesting. Don't like the prices however. Would just place the taters in a brown paper bag, but in case I would ever stupidly let them rot again, I'd want something under the bag to contain the mess. Obviously, I am going to do my best to never, ever let that happen again!

Just put a large stack of old newspapers under them. I have a plastic bin in my pantry, and put the newspapers under the potatoes, just in case.

Valued Contributor

@ECBG --Like the wicker basket but don't like the price! I can't believe Amazon charges so much for it. Too bad because I might have considered it.

Valued Contributor

@Flatbush --Good idea about the newspapers. I don't take the paper anymore, but I could get some from my cousins.

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

@ECBG --Like the wicker basket but don't like the price! I can't believe Amazon charges so much for it. Too bad because I might have considered it.

@qualityshopper I thought the price was high.  It didn't say it was handmade either.  

The metal choices were good.

Respected Contributor

@qualityshopper I have trouble with potato's spoiling quickly, so I only buy what i am going to use for now and go home with them and cook them as soon as possible. I really don't think there is a good way to store potato's for more than a week. Smiley Indifferent

Respected Contributor

i store my potatoes down cellar where it;s cool most of the year.  Unless i'm making potato salad i avoid buying bags of potatoes in the hot summer months.  i typically buy russets anyway for baking and general use because i dislike peeling little oddly shaped and eyed spuds, and russets don't have the eyes the white or red potatoes quickly sprout.

there are lots of potato substitutes in summer like corn and farm fresh veggies. 

Honored Contributor

Right now I probably have 50 lbs of potatoes on hand.   In winter it is not unusual for me to have 2-3x that amount.  

Our potatoes are in the dark inside corner of the garage, and are stored in a single layer, no touching, on stacked plastic bread crates.   

My trucker daughter buys potatoes from the same warehouses in Idaho and Colorado where she picks up the loads she brings back to the east coast.   The warehouses where the potatoes are stored, are VERY cold; she carries a winter weight jacket in her truck all the time to wear inside when her order is being filled.   The potatoes are packaged in bags, stacked on pallets, then wrapped in plastic.  The pallets are loaded by forklift and stacked in her truck.   The reefer in her truck keeps the potatoes cold, but they are bounced and jostled in trucks until they reach their delivery point.   That is why it is so important for you to quickly get the weight off the potatoes you buy, and give them breathing space.