Valued Contributor

Looking for something to store fresh potatoes in

I'm looking for a new container to keep potatoes from the store in and can't seem to find anything in the size I need. My mom always kept them in a plastic bin (tub, bin, I don't know what to call it, but I think it was made by Rubbermaid) inside of the sink cabinet. As long as it didn't need to be pulled out, this was OK. Unfortunately I let some potatoes rot this past week and things got nasty. There was actually liquid in the bottom of the container which had to be dipped out before the bin could be removed since I had to turn it sideways. What a mess!

Anyway, I'd like a holder that I would be able to easily pull out from the cabinet in the future. Hopefully not to clean up another mess, but just because I would want to be able to do so. Although I've looked online at many retailers, as well as looking tonight in different stores, I can't seem to find the right thing. If I find something that's the right width, then it's usually not long enough. Whatever I'd get could not be more than 9 1/2 inches wide. The length could be about 13 1/2 to 14 inches long. I've run out of ideas of where to look. Would anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Looking for something to store fresh potatoes in

$Dollar Tree

A little plastic something where you can put a layer of newspaper on the bottom, and throw the whole thing out if need be.

Personally, I'd just use a plastic bucket.

One dollar, can't beat it.

Super Contributor

I have a 3 tiered wire basket that I keep my produce in. 

I have it hanging in my basement laundry room.

The air is able to circulate and keep things fresh for a long time. 

Respected Contributor

Never would have thought about putting them in plastic.  Always bought the 10 lb bag in Paper sack growing up and left 'em in it. Anything with air flow would do.  Maybe not under the sink either. Goes back to the moisture thing.  Dark ,cool, airy.  That's what they like.

Esteemed Contributor

I use something like this.  It has holes for air circulation and is stackable.  I use one for onions, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, and/or fruit, etc.  I can't remember where I found them, either Target or Bed, Bath, Beyond. Mine are white and I keep them on the counter. 

download (1).jpg

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper 

Container Store-

Small Chancellor Basket

&

• SKU#: 10077912
  • 11" x 7-5/8" x 5-1/4" h 

Medium Chancellor Basket-

&

• SKU#: 10077913
  • 12-7/8" x 9-3/8" x 5-1/4" h
Honored Contributor

Lots of good storage ideas upthread (always go natural materials,

not plastic) but it sounds more like an usage issue.  

I can’t think of a situation where potatoes go to liquid.

It has to be quite some time before it gets to that stage.

If spuds are eaten that infrequently, par-cook & freeze them instead

of looking for special storage solutions, hoping for the best.

Honored Contributor

keep them in a paper bag, dark

plastic box and the light = disaster

Esteemed Contributor

I use Debbie Meyer green bags on HSN. I usually keep mine in one of the drawers in my fridg. In the winter months I can keep them in a cardboard box that is ventilated in the garage. In the warmer months I bring them inside to the fridge. We have realtives who farm potatoes and they say a cool, dry, dark place is best. Humidity is not a potato friend. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper - As others have mentioned, potatoes want a cool (not extremely cold) and dark place with lots of air circulation for optimal storage. Under the sink is not an ideal place because it gets warmer than you might think with all the water running through the pipes and the fact that the area is typically also near the dishwasher if you have one, which produces heat that will negatively affect the spuds. When you find an ideal location, place the potatoes in a metal basket (easier to clean and disinfect than plastic or most other materials if rotting happens) or even a paper bag with holes poked in it, and do not store fruits or onions with or near them.