Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for set of pots and pans

I've been through just about every brand of pots and pans in the many years of my marriage. Wasted so much money! I decided to bite the bullet and invest in a set of All-Clad. I've had them for about 6 years now and I know these will be the last pots and pans I'll ever buy. Expensive? Yes, but, like I said, you will never have to buy another....ever. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I'd also suggest Big Lots if yo have one.

The only thing I would suggest is to buy a set or at least 2 or 3 with the white ceramic lining inside.  I swear by these now - none of those coatings for me.

Respected Contributor

Copper-bottom Revere cookware is good quality and lasts for years, but it has features that don't work well for me,  compared with today's cookware.

I sold  or donated all of mine years ago, piece by piece, and sold my mother's set  of Revere at an estate sale after my dad died.  I rely on stainless steel pots that have thicker bottoms and an aluminum core for a lot of my cooking.

The bottoms on the Revere are too thin, and they heat up and cool down too quickly to regulate cooking the way I'd like to.   I  have even more  serious objections to the types  of nonstick cookware from the 1980s and 1990s, and even those from just  several years ago.  I don't own them anymore.  Don't like the chemical vapors that they supposedly give off when heated, and their nonstick coatings do not hold up forever.  Have literally thrown some of them away  when the coating would lose its nonstick quality or would begin to flake off.

I do love today's ceramic nonstick interiors for skillets (such as the Green Pans), and  will never part with  my enameled cast iron pieces by Le Crueset and similar brands.

I recently bought some pieces of the ceramic nonstick cast aluminum pieces offered under the Cook's Companion brand from Evine  They look good and cook fantastically well. I only use two of the pieces and will probably sell or donate the rest some day.  Only bought them as a set because they had a special one-day offer that was hard to pass up.  I paid less for the set than they are being offered for now, just for the two pieces I really wanted and use.

It's probably wise to make sure any new cookware bought today  is suitable for induction-stove cooking..  Not owning some pots and pans that work on induction heating probably will limit their use, as induction stoves and cooktops become more common and popular than they already are.

Also, it might be best to accumulate cookware piece by piece, depending on how the piece will be used, rather than buy an entire set.   Not every pan needs to be nonstick  But that's just my opinion.  You can find lots of good quality stuff out there, so have fun shopping!

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased the Cook Essentials and Technique version of Rachael Ray's oval skillets and they are my favorite pans. I also purchased Mark Charles Macilli's 4th burner pot (2) and they are also a favoirite. I use one or both of these pans almost every day. Most days there are only two of us so that's why I purchased the CE and  Tech ones instead of RR. Her pans are more family size and that's a little large for my needs. 

Last year I donated all my cookwear that I was hardly using and just purchased the individual pots and pans that fit what I cook and the quantity. I still have my jumbo stock pot and skillet for family dinners but that's not what I'm reaching for every day. Tthink about the quantity size of the pots and pans that you use and then search.  There are still some excellent clearance prices everywhere. I've had good luck with Technique and CE and RR. I also won't purchase a pan that is not dishwasher safe or doesn't have non stick. 

Super Contributor

I would "kick the tires"

Buy one piece, not a whole set.

I am hearing more about ceramic.

What works best for me is keeping the METAL out of any pot or pan !!!

Good luck !!

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks,  my RevereWare is perfect, the handles are just dingy and a bit shaky with age I guess.  I just wanted to update.  Got them when I got married.  Fifty years is a long time. I will check out Costco.  I am a member.  So many choices out there.  

Thanks everyone.

Honored Contributor

Not to discourage you from looking at new, but please don't get rid of your old right away, as you may eventually regret it.

There are handles for replacement available online, if that would fix your issues.

And I have always used Revere Ware copper bottoms, and do agree about them being a little too thin. I never realized it until I purchased a vintage set of Farberware, and the bottoms are much thicker. I love them and would highly recommend finding some pieces of older Farberware at thrifts or on ebay and trying it out.

And many recommend that if buying new pots and pans, avoid sets. Choose a line you think you will love, and buy one piece that you are sure you use a lot, If you like the performance, go back and buy just the pieces you will use, and build your own set, and don't settle for what they want to group as a set for you.

Honored Contributor

I have Revereware and it's doing great.

If I bought again, I'd buy Calphloan.  What's not to like?

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I have an old set... still going strong however handles are starting to wear. This will date me but I got my set when I got married.... never replaced.. stainless steel, copper bottom RevereWare.  That ought to date me.  In any case so many choices.  

I would like something that will hold up... Thinking abouit what the Q and HSN sells but am not sure. I could go into a local department store but we really don't have any unless I want to travel.  I did get one or two Teflon pieces but did not like them and they are long worn out and gone.  

Any suggestions would be appreciated.. Rachael R, Emeril, not sure.  

I found  commercial pots and pans from a company Update International. The model is called Super Steel Stainless. I have had these pans for nearly seven years. I use a 5QT sauce pan every day. This line has some non-stick pans.

I like these pans, because you built you own set. You can find them at Amazon.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I have Revereware and it's doing great.

If I bought again, I'd buy Calphloan.  What's not to like?

My calphalon is not induction compatible..And I am nearly totally using induction these days....