Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for device that will shred potatoes

@bonnielu wrote:

Not sure of the correct term but the blender pulverizes them and I would like to have texture when I make "potato pancakes-latkas"  I have some old metal hand devices but they are not sharp enough and they do not do the job.  

I buy my latkes pre made

I made them from scratch once, and the house smelled for a week

I give you credit for doing it.

looked for frozen shredded potatoes ?

Respected Contributor

I find the refrigerated and frozen shredded potatoes,while convenient, do not contain enough natural starch to make proper latkes..They must treat them somehow....

Esteemed Contributor

I think you might be referring to a "ricer" but you should consider a food processor, or a mandolin. I would take in to consideration the number of potatoes that you are going to shred.  That can be a real "task" for some of the options out in the market place. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie  Come right on over.  Love to have the company.  My Vitamix pulverizes everything.  I want to shred.  I just went to Amazon and bought a new box shredder.  Harder work, longer prepare times but I want SHRED.  

I live in Western Md... set your GPS

Esteemed Contributor

@Fressa

Got to find a Mandolin.  Might have one stored away... thanks.  

I hate the hand shredders.  I am my own worst enemy in the kitchen.  I cut myself on kitchen knives and burn myself on hot oven stuff.  Not political.... but there is no way I would ever buy a weapon.  I would not last taking it out of the box.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

@Carmie  Come right on over.  Love to have the company.  My Vitamix pulverizes everything.  I want to shred.  I just went to Amazon and bought a new box shredder.  Harder work, longer prepare times but I want SHRED.  

I live in Western Md... set your GPS

I have a Vitamix too.  It liquifies  everything.  I don’t use it too often.  I want to chew my food and I wish I wouldn’t have purchased it.

The KA food processor shreds and slices. i use it almost everyday.

I have a box shredder too.  I use it for small amounts and especially for hard cheese and cabbage.

I am sure your potatoes will shed nicely on that box cutter.  Watch your knuckles.

We don’t really live that far apart, I am in PA...

Respected Contributor

You might check out a Salad Shooter.

Respected Contributor

@mima  I just saw your post recommending a salad shooter.  I have never heard of this gadget so I checked it out.  Wow, I have to have one of these.

Respected Contributor

Yes, they are nice.  I had one for years and it finally broke.  I got another one for my BD last year.Hope you love it!

Honored Contributor

software wrote:

You need a new box grater or use a food processor.

Once your box grater is dull, it's time for a new one.

@bonnielu

ITA with all of this.  

I have stainless steel box graters from OXO and Microplane - both great companies for kitchen gadgets.     

My Cuisinart food processsor came with a few blades, one of which is for shredding.  Pretty standard.   

Either of these choices are excellent.  Smiley Happy