Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for a tried and true, not too labor intensive cinnamon roll recipe.

On 12/14/2014 lennox25 said:

There are several on Pinterest. With all of the recipe houses, why don't you just google it ???

Perhaps Housecat is looking for a tried and true recipe that has been tested by her fellow posters in this forum?

Housecat my dear friend - the only cinnamon rolls I prepare come from this little guy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

There was a cinnamon roll cake recipe that went around last year. My daughter makes it and it tastes just like cinnamon rolls only better. It was a "to die for" recipe. Maybe you can google and find it. I don't make that stuff, so I don't have it to post.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/14/2014 lennox25 said:

There are several on Pinterest. With all of the recipe houses, why don't you just google it ???

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas and recipes.

I Agree with BirdMama. You can google all you want but who knows what the results are and the ingredients are too pricey to just hope for the best. I love to hear what others have tried, changes made and their results. don't mind spending for the ingredients if I know things are good.

Respected Contributor

Cinnamon Rolls (Tried and True) YUM YUM Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Dough:

4.5- 5 cups all purpose flour

1 package active dry yeast

1 cup milk heated to 100*

1/3 c margarine or butter

1/3 c sugar

1/2 t salt

3 eggs

Filling

3/4 c packed brown sugar

1/4 c all purpose flour

1 Tablespoon Cinnamon

1/2 c butter or margarine

In the mixing bowl, stir to dissolve the yeast in the heated milk, let it foam and bubble a few minutes. Put on the flat beater, add the margarine, sugar and salt. Add 2 c flour and mix well. Add the eggs, one at a time. Put on the dough hook, add 2 ½ more cups of flour, then add the rest of the flour as needed. Mix the dough on speed #2 for 5-7 minutes until the dough comes from the sides of the bowl. Take the dough out and knead it on a lightly floured surface until smooth.

Place in a greased bowl and grease the top. Cover with plastic and let double in size. Make the filling: Combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in the margarine till crumbly.

Punch the dough down, roll out on a lightly floured surface. Roll out to a 12 by 17 rectangle. Smear the filling mixture over the dough. Starting with the longer side, roll up like a jelly roll, cut with a piece of thread or dental floss into 12 or 15 pieces. Grease a 9 by 13 inch pan. Place (3 rows of 4 ) or (3 rows of 5) . Let double in the pan. Bake in a 350* Preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Brush with butter after taking them out of the oven. After they cool, you can put an icing on them, but I like them just as they are!!! JJ

Respected Contributor

Homemade cinnamon rolls are labor intensive.

Otherwise, go your grocery's Pillsbury case or Cinnabon.

Honored Contributor

How about monkey bread? You can't get much easier than that. There are a million recipes on line. Everyone loves it too.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Kachina, I don't think I've ever eaten monkey bread. Is it good?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

This is yummy! I imagine you could make it by hand, but I use the bread machine.

Cinnamon Rolls (Bread Machine)

Dough:

1/4 cup water

1 cup milk (Put water and milk into cup and microwave on high for 30-40 seconds)

1/4 cup butter, melted

1/2 package (3.4 oz.) instant vanilla pudding mix (about 1/4 cup)

1 egg (put whole uncracked egg into cup of hot water for 4 minutes to warm)

1 Tablespoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 cups bread flour

2 1/2 teaspoons yeast

Filling:

1/4 cup butter, softened

1 cup brown sugar

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 cup chopped walnuts, optional

Frosting:

4 oz. cream cheese, softened

1/4 cup butter, softened

1 teaspoon milk

1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

1. Place ingredients for dough into bread machine pan in order listed. Set for dough cycle and press start.

2. Preheat oven to 150 degrees. When dough cycle has finished, turn dough out onto a floured sheet of wax paper and roll into a 17x10-inch (approx.) rectangle.

3. Filling: Mix together sugar and cinnamon. Spread softened butter over dough. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon mixture over top. Roll tightly from long end, pinching edges closed when completely rolled. Slice rolled dough into 15 slices.

4. Place into greased 9x13-inch pan. Place pan in 150 degree oven and turn oven off. Let rise 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cover with towel while you preheat oven to 350 degrees for baking.

5. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, until golden. Watch closely. Do not overbake.

6. Frosting: Blend cream cheese, butter, milk, and vanilla. Gradually add sugar, beating until frosting is smooth. Spread frosting on very warm rolls.

Honored Contributor

On 12/14/2014 Bird mama said:

Kachina, I don't think I've ever eaten monkey bread. Is it good?

Yes very good. You cut canned biscuits (3-4 cans) into quarters and coat them with melted butter, then a cinnamon/sugar mixture. Put in a tube pan and bake. It comes out like pull-apart bread and it's coated with a syrupy cinnamon mixture. You can add raisins and/or nuts and it's even delish cold. Doesn't taste like canned biscuits. Good for kids to help make.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

Simple and good.

I made them again yesterday. We added roasted pecans (we chopped) on top. I use milk for the frosting and considered adding cream cheeseg. Double recipe, if you want more rolls One can is plenty for us. I lightly coat pan with cooking spray

Crescent Roll Cinnamon Rolls

1 (8 oz) pkg (8) refrigerated crescent rolls

1 Tbsp butter, melted

2 Tbsp granulated sugar

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 cup powdered sugar

1/4 tsp vanilla

1 tsp orange juice or milk

Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease an 8 x 1-1/2 or 9 x 1-1/2 round baking pan; set aside. Unroll dough (do not separate); press perforations to seal. Brush dough with melted butter. In a small bowl, stir together the granulated sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough. Starting from a long side, roll up dough. Using a sharp knife, slice dough into 1-1/2" pieces. Arrange pieces, cut side up, in prepared pan, flattening each roll slightly.

Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden. Remove and cool rolls slightly in pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan. In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough orange juice or milk to make an icing of drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm rolls. Serve warm.

Nutrition Facts Per serving: 155 kcal cal., 7 g fat(2 g sat. fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat, 4 mg chol., 241 mg sodium, 22 g carb., 10 g sugar, 2 g pro.

Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Source: Internet