Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for a new wine -- suggestions, please

The proprietor of your local liquor store might have some suggestions too. I find them very willing to help.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

The proprietor of your local liquor store might have some suggestions too. I find them very willing to help.

@AuntG

I think the next time I go I am going to do that! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Should have mentioned these two also:

Ecco Domani:  Pinot Grigio. ( but the one in a plain bottle only because for the holidays they have a very decorated bottle whose content is very inferior )

Yellowtail:  Sauvignon Blanc. Serve well-chilled.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Contributor

Some Rieslings are quite nice. Dr. Loosen's is a favorite of mine. Seaglass is also excellent.

Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

I cannot handle too much acid, either. Wines from a warmer climate will have less acid and Chardonnay tends to be a lesser acid grape (so a Chardonnay from Australia or California can be a safer bet, from an acid standpoint). 

I've found myself with an open bottle of wine and find it's too acidic (or too dry). An easy way to lessen the acid is to turn it into a spritzer. I've added seltzer water (or even ginger ale) to a glass f wine and add some winter fruit (I've added a few cranberries or a thin apple slice). 

Honored Contributor

I used to be a wine snob,.  Back then I discovered my favorite wine was Carlo Rossi Burgundy in the gallon jug.  I kid you not.  A certain Italian restaurant served this as their house wine but were ashamed to tell customers.  They sent me on a wild goose chase to the liquor stores in Chicago and that brand was non-existant.  They finally confessed what they were doing.  

Respected Contributor

@depglass   That's a funny story.  I'm sure many restaurants do that with the house wine.  I love Carlo Rossi's White Zinfandel and used to buy the big, big jugs when I had access to a car.

Very much dislike Sutter Home White Zin; to me it  lacks depth of flavor.

Now that I don't have car access I found Liberty Creek White Zinfandel as a substitute but of course, in DC although they do sell wine in the supermarkets, unlike Connecticut, they don't have any big jugs.  Not even sure that Liberty Creek has that size anyway.

I also like Moscato and Ice wines.  I can tolerate a decent Riesling or Persecco.  For New Years Eve I like pink champagne.

I tend to favor wines on the "fruity" or sweet side.

Anyway, just love your story.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

Your local wine store may be able to provide you of some good recommendations of wine that they have in stock. I've found a few great wines after having a discussion on what I like and what I'm serving.  

@LilLadyNJ

Great idea.  Thank you.

You know, as a general statement, I have rarely found a wine store that was good at recommending a less complicated wine.

Ask for something expensive and detailed and show how much you know and they are all in to chat.  Otherwise, just a nice wine?  They mostly hem and haw and shuffle their feet and can't really make up their minds what to suggest.

Which irritates me beyond being ticked!