Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for a corn casserole recipe

@Tigriss wrote:
@momtochloe I wonder if I could sub corn meal. I don't want to buy a bag of G-Free flour to only use a few tablespoons. I know it is for a thickener.

@Tigriss I don't see why you couldn't as that is what's in Jiffy Mix.  I'm not sure what exactly is gluten free but I would imagine whatever those folks use as a thickener would work here too.

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe Jiffy Mix's first ingredient is wheat flour, but it does have cornmeal in it, so I'll try cornmeal and let you know how it comes out.
Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
@momtochloe Jiffy Mix's first ingredient is wheat flour, but it does have cornmeal in it, so I'll try cornmeal and let you know how it comes out.

@Tigriss I was just doing some searches on gluten free corn souffle recipes and a lot of them contained corn meal so I think you would be fine with this.  Good luck and yes I would love to hear back but I am sure it will be delicious . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I know. How could you go wrong with any of these delicious recipes. I'm making the broccoli and corn bake and now the corn souffle for Thursday. Time to edit my shopping list.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Family Thanksgiving favorite.  Well worth the time.  Can be made ahead and reheated if in a time crunch.

SWEET CORN & CARMELIZED ONION PUDDING

½ cup unsalted butter                        

2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced     

6 large eggs, room temperature        

1 cup half-and-half

1 cup heavy whipping cream

¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

¼ cup all-purpose flour                        

3 T. sugar

2 t. baking powder

1-1/2 t. salt

1/2 t. white pepper

2-1/2 cups fresh corn (or canned sweet), well drained

2 T. slivered fresh basil or sage leaves

Grease 8 ramekins or custard cups (or 2-qt. casserole dish) and set aside. 

In medium skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat.

Cook onions until golden and caramelized, about 25 minutes, stirring frequently.  Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350°. 

In large bowl, beat eggs thoroughly.  Stir in half-and-half, cream and Parmesan.

Gradually stir in combined flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper. 

Fold in corn, basit (or sage) and caramelized onions. 

Divide mixture among prepared ramekins and place on baking sheet.  Lightly sprinkly tops with additional Parmesan, if desired.

Bake 15-20 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.

Makes 8 servings. 

Edwina Gadby (Great Falls, Montana)

I always bake this in a casserole dish.  Just increase your cooking time and check to be sure the center cooks through. Generous 8 servings.  This recipe is from one of the QVC cookbooks.

Valued Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@In-x-s@violann

Read your posts and decided I'd bring this to Thanksgiving dinner.  Don't have an 8x8 pan and for easier transporting figure I'll use a Temptations 9" round pie dish.  Any advice on alterating the cooking time?

I would do as @violann suggests.  You'd want to be sure the center gets done without the edges burning.  It is very "moist cakelike" so I would think it should be okay -  the Temptations pie dish is a deep dish pie pan, correct?

Honored Contributor

@Blk&GoldFan wrote:

Family Thanksgiving favorite.  Well worth the time.  Can be made ahead and reheated if in a time crunch.

SWEET CORN & CARMELIZED ONION PUDDING

½ cup unsalted butter                        

2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced     

6 large eggs, room temperature        

1 cup half-and-half

1 cup heavy whipping cream

¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

¼ cup all-purpose flour                        

3 T. sugar

2 t. baking powder

1-1/2 t. salt

1/2 t. white pepper

2-1/2 cups fresh corn (or canned sweet), well drained

2 T. slivered fresh basil or sage leaves

Grease 8 ramekins or custard cups (or 2-qt. casserole dish) and set aside. 

In medium skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat.

Cook onions until golden and caramelized, about 25 minutes, stirring frequently.  Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350°. 

In large bowl, beat eggs thoroughly.  Stir in half-and-half, cream and Parmesan.

Gradually stir in combined flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper. 

Fold in corn, basit (or sage) and caramelized onions. 

Divide mixture among prepared ramekins and place on baking sheet.  Lightly sprinkly tops with additional Parmesan, if desired.

Bake 15-20 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.

Makes 8 servings. 

Edwina Gadby (Great Falls, Montana)

I always bake this in a casserole dish.  Just increase your cooking time and check to be sure the center cooks through. Generous 8 servings.  This recipe is from one of the QVC cookbooks.

Thank you for posting this @Blk&GoldFan, another to be added to my list of corn casseroles/souffles/puddings . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I'm trying a new recipe on Thabksgiving, from a favorite website, Mel's Kitchen Cafe. It's called Delicious Parmesan Cream Corn. 

I like that it's made on the stovetop, since a turkey will be in the oven lol. My granson loves creamed corn, and this seems like a recipe with simple flavors that kids will like.

FYI, that recipe for Tee's Corn Pudding, from Southern Living, is a favorite at our house. It's really good!

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Scooby Doo I copied this from @ECBG earlier this month:

Corn Souffle
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2 Cans high quality Whole Kernel corn, drained
2 cans cream style corn
4 Tbsp. sugar (may be slightly decreased)
4 Tbsp plain flour
4 Tbsp Whipping cream or half and half
4 eggs, beaten
Combine all ingredients
Pour into buttered 3 qt baking dish
Bake 1-1 1/2 hours until golden
Doubles well with a 4 qt baker.

@momtochloe @ECBG I made this yesterday and it was really good. Thanks for sharing!  😊  Even the ones who don't usually eat corn went back for seconds.

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Scooby Doo I copied this from @ECBG earlier this month:

Corn Souffle
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2 Cans high quality Whole Kernel corn, drained
2 cans cream style corn
4 Tbsp. sugar (may be slightly decreased)
4 Tbsp plain flour
4 Tbsp Whipping cream or half and half
4 eggs, beaten
Combine all ingredients
Pour into buttered 3 qt baking dish
Bake 1-1 1/2 hours until golden
Doubles well with a 4 qt baker.

@momtochloe @ECBG I made this yesterday and it was really good. Thanks for sharing!  😊  Even the ones who don't usually eat corn went back for seconds.

@wildcat fan I am so glad this went over so well!  I was all set to make it for Thanksgiving until I realized I had two can of regular corn and not a can of creamed corn in my stash and I just couldn't drag myself out one more time to go to the store.  I am going to swing by the store tomorrow and make it as most of what I made this year wasn't exactly a success except for the sweet potato casserole so I need a culinary hit . . . Smiley Happy

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving wildcat fan!