Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for a corn casserole recipe

@momtochloe wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@momtochloe   We love our corn pudding here in the south!  I will post my go to recipe just in case you would like to have it as well.  I only make this at Thanksgiving, but it is really good.  It is a recipe from Southern Living

Tee's Corn Pudding

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons table salt
  • 6 large eggs
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 6 cups fresh corn kernels*
  • Vegetable cooking spray

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
  2. Whisk eggs together in a large bowl; whisk in cream and melted butter.
  3. Gradually add sugar mixture, whisking until smooth; stir in corn. Pour mixture into a lightly greased (with cooking spray) 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
  4. Bake at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes or until mixture is deep golden and set. Let stand 5 minutes.

*6 cups frozen whole kernel corn or canned shoepeg corn, drained, may be substituted.

Note: You may substitute 1 (13- x 9-inch) baking dish for ramekins. Bake at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes or until set. Let stand 5 minutes. For testing purposes only, we used 'Silver Queen' corn.

Southwestern Corn Pudding: Stir in 1 (4.5-oz.) can chopped green chiles and 1/4 tsp. ground cumin.

Thank you so much for this @pitdakota!  I have so many new and different ideas as I just love corn and corn casseroles.  I have never seen one with baking powder so I can't wait to try this one . . . thank you again for taking the time to post this! . . . Smiley Happy

No problem @momtochloe!    I also have made this for pot luck suppers and despite the fact that most have their own corn pudding recipes, this one is always a hit and everyone wants the recipe.  I use frozen corn so it is really easy to make. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Valued Contributor

This is the one I use that has the corn bread mix - kind of a copy cat recipe of Chi Chi's corn casserole but it's more of a corn pudding.

http://www.food.com/recipe/jiffy-corn-casserole-5-ingredients-easy-delicious-313521

Honored Contributor

@In-x-s wrote:

This is the one I use that has the corn bread mix - kind of a copy cat recipe of Chi Chi's corn casserole but it's more of a corn pudding.

http://www.food.com/recipe/jiffy-corn-casserole-5-ingredients-easy-delicious-313521

I am RELIEVED to find another PRO-Jiffy fan here among all of you ANTI-Jiffy fans!

This Jiffy recipe IS perhaps the most evil thing I eat during the holiday season, and I KNOW that it is a pudding that slips precariously close to "dessert", but as I'm sure we have all observed from this terrific thread that there's plenty of room here for the savory chefs AND the the sweets!

Thank you @In-x-s! HAPPY THANKSGIVING to both camps!!!!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann wrote:

@In-x-s wrote:

I am RELIEVED to find another PRO-Jiffy fan here among all of you ANTI-Jiffy fans!

This Jiffy recipe IS perhaps the most evil thing I eat during the holiday season, and I KNOW that it is a pudding that slips precariously close to "dessert", but as I'm sure we have all observed from this terrific thread that there's plenty of room here for the savory chefs AND the the sweets!

Thank you @In-x-s! HAPPY THANKSGIVING to both camps!!!!

Thank you!!  It's Thanksgiving, shouldn't all veggies taste like dessert? LOL

Ooops, I just noticed it asked for one WITHOUT the Jiffy mix!!

Esteemed Contributor

@In-x-s@violann

Read your posts and decided I'd bring this to Thanksgiving dinner.  Don't have an 8x8 pan and for easier transporting figure I'll use a Temptations 9" round pie dish.  Any advice on alterating the cooking time?

Honored Contributor

I'd test it in the center at about 5 minutes less than the cooking time in the recipe. 

I can't remember enough HS geometry to figure absolutely, but the round baker will make a thinner pudding, and therefore it will cook faster

As long as the pudding isn't browning too dark along the edges, that should do it, but if it is, I'd tent it with foil , just laid on top of the pie plate, to be sure the center was set.

You could also turn off the oven, and let it set up for a little extra time as the oven cools. If you do that, don't open the oven door until you're ready to test it again.

Esteemed Contributor

@violann wrote:

I'd test it in the center at about 5 minutes less than the cooking time in the recipe. 

I can't remember enough HS geometry to figure absolutely, but the round baker will make a thinner pudding, and therefore it will cook faster

As long as the pudding isn't browning too dark along the edges, that should do it, but if it is, I'd tent it with foil , just laid on top of the pie plate, to be sure the center was set.

You could also turn off the oven, and let it set up for a little extra time as the oven cools. If you do that, don't open the oven door until you're ready to test it again.

Thanx! 

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe  If I leave the flour out of your Corn Souffle, what would happen?  My nephew has a wheat allergy.  Could I use cornstarch instead?

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

@momtochloe  If I leave the flour out of your Corn Souffle, what would happen?  My nephew has a wheat allergy.  Could I use cornstarch instead?

@Tigriss I honestly don't know as this would be the first time I have ever made one with flour (I usually prepare the Jiffy Mix version).

Can someone else maybe answer this please?  Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe I wonder if I could sub corn meal. I don't want to buy a bag of G-Free flour to only use a few tablespoons. I know it is for a thickener.