Honored Contributor

Re: Look what you enablers made me do...

@Lyttlewyng@homedecor1@aroc3435@loriqvc@GAQShopr53@butterfly123@froggy

thanks you for all your kind words ...

What to cook for the inaugural meal?

Something not too difficult - there is always standby chilli -

thought Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon would be appropriate - 

I know she is a LC gurll - but my pumpkin is close to the flame color - that counts for something - too long a recipe, perhaps another time

suggestions?

Honored Contributor

@Lyttlewyng wrote:

@Yahooey

Well done!  You are not alone.

My FIRST Staub pumpkin cast iron cocotte was the burnt orange 3.5 qt. model.

A year later they came out with the matte black.  Now they both sit side by side

on my shelf.  Gorgeous pieces and useful for many recipes.

My knees buckled at the site of the the Staub Tomato vessel in the dark wine color called Grenadine.  That one is also in my collection too.  Love the oval shape.

Over the holidays, I was gifted a 1.5 qt cast iron Petite French Oven in Grenadine.

Adorable just like the others.

Enjoy your pumpkin pot!  They are much like potato chips.  You can't just have one.

No - they are not potato chips - otherwise carrying another one would kill me on the subway lol 

the staircases alone - up and ddown and up and down different platforms. That particular stop is NOT Stuab friendly

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yahooey  Here is a recipe that might work:

Adapted from Oscar de la Renta's Pumpkin and Crab Soup*

from New York Cook Book by Molly O'Neill pages 63-64

Workman Publishing Company 1992

2 to 4 cups pumpkin puree

1 tsp dry mustard

salt and pepper to taste (I use white pepper)

2 Tbsps olive oil

2 scallions, minced

2 Tbsps curry powder

1/2  tsp ground coriander

1/2  tsp brown sugar

1/2  tsp ground cinnamon

6 cups chicken broth

1 cup corn kernels

1 pound lump crabmeat

1 cup plain yogurt

Warm the olive oil in a large pan and saute the scallions for one minute.  Add the curry powder, coriander, cinnamon and sugar and cook for one minute.  Add the pumkin puree and season with salt and pepper and add the dry mustard.  Stir in the chicken broth and simmer gently for thirty minutes.  Add the corn kernels and crab meat.  Cook to heat through, three to four minutes. Stir in the yogurt.  (Could use creme fraiche or sour cream instead of yogurt.)

Serves 6 to 8.

* Original recipe also has directions for using  a four to six pound fresh baked pumpkin instead of the pumpkin puree.

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Yahooey  Here is a recipe that might work:

Adapted from Oscar de la Renta's Pumpkin and Crab Soup*

from New York Cook Book by Molly O'Neill pages 63-64

Workman Publishing Company 1992

2 to 4 cups pumpkin puree

1 tsp dry mustard

salt and pepper to taste (I use white pepper)

2 Tbsps olive oil

2 scallions, minced

2 Tbsps curry powder

1/2  tsp ground coriander

1/2  tsp brown sugar

1/2  tsp ground cinnamon

6 cups chicken broth

1 cup corn kernels

1 pound lump crabmeat

1 cup plain yogurt

Warm the olive oil in a large pan and saute the scallions for one minute.  Add the curry powder, coriander, cinnamon amd sugar and cook for one minute.  Add the pumkin puree and season with salt and pepper and add the dry mustard.  Stir in the chicken broth and simmer gently for thirty minutes.  Add the corn kernels and crab meat.  Cook to heat through, three to four minutes. Stir in the yogurt.  (Could use creme fraiche or sour cream instead of yogurt.)

Serves 6 to 8.

* Original recipe also has directions for using  a four to six pound fresh baked pumpkin instead of the pumpkin puree.

OH goodness, this sounds just delish!

Respected Contributor

@happycat  Thank you.  It is a delightful recipe.  The recipes in the New York Cook Book are so wonderfully varied.  

Many different ethnic, celebrity, and New York City centered recipes are included.  It also covers a history of these items and a wonderful introduction by author Molly O'Neill, who was a food columnist for the New York Times, photographs, and a great bibliography at the end that can lead one to other wonderful cook books.

It is 509 soft cover pages of pleasure which I've had for fourteen years and obtained second hand.

I am a collector of cook books and this is one of my often consulted, well used favorites; if you can find it in the library or online I so recommend it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@happycat  Thank you.  It is a delightful recipe.  The recipes in the New York Cook Book are so wonderfully varied.  

Many different ethnic, celebrity, and New York City centered recipes are included.  It also covers a history of these items and a wonderful introduction by author Molly O'Neill, who was a food columnist for the New York Times, photographs, and a great bibliography at the end that can lead one to other wonderful cook books.

It is 509 soft cover pages of pleasure which I've had for fourteen years and obtained second hand.

I am a collector of cook books and this is one of my often consulted, well used favorites; if you can find it in the library or online I so recommend it. 

I will look at my liabrary and see. Im putting the name of it in my phone, so I'll remember. It sounds delightful, honestly.

Isn't it wonderful to find a cookbook you love and go back to time and time again?

Respected Contributor

You are going to need to get something(dolly) that climbs steps and can hold a lot of weight because what she said is true "  They are much like potato chips.  You can't just have one." You will seeWoman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

You are going to need to get something(dolly) that climbs steps and can hold a lot of weight because what she said is true "  They are much like potato chips.  You can't just have one." You will seeWoman Very Happy

@tiny 2

la la la la la fingers in ears - I'm not hearing you - NOT potato chips

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435

thank you so much for the recipe - but I have made pumpkin ginger soup in a regular pot before - so trying to do something different.

looking for bread recipes right now on the internet

Honored Contributor

Sorry--but I would never spend that much on a brand name, for one piece, that is too freaking heavy to left empty, let alone full----,