Respected Contributor

Re: Look what you enablers made me do...

[ Edited ]

@Yahooey wrote:

@aroc3435

thank you so much for the recipe - but I have made pumpkin ginger soup in a regular pot before - so trying to do something different.

looking for bread recipes right now on the internet

@Yahooey  Check the King Arthur website, their bread recipes are the best....

Esteemed Contributor

Here's my favorite simple savory pumpkin recipe for a Dutch oven:

One-Pot Creamy Pumpkin Pasta

8 oz linguine
4 C vegetable broth
1 C pumpkin puree
1/2 C water
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 a medium onion, chopped finely (about 1 C)
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced (2 Tbsp)
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Freshly shredded Parmesan cheese for topping

Add all ingredients to a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Place over high heat and bring to a rolling boil. As soon as the rolling boil begins, set a timer for 9 minutes. Toss pasta with tongs as it cooks, stirring fairly frequently for the first few minutes and then constantly as it thickens to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot. When 9 minutes have passed, the pasta should be tender and the sauce should be slightly thickened (cook for 1 minute more if needed). Remove pot from heat; pasta may seem a bit thin, but it will thicken a bit as it sits. Check seasoning levels, adding more salt if necessary, and then divide between 4 serving bowls. Top with Parmesan and enjoy immediately.

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435  Oh my, I have to make that soup.  I have some crab in the freezer, just enough to make half a recipe. 

Thankyou for posting it, I never would have thought to do a search for that combination.

@Yahooey  Congrats on the great buy.  It was meant to be.

Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

@Yahooey wrote:

@aroc3435

thank you so much for the recipe - but I have made pumpkin ginger soup in a regular pot before - so trying to do something different.

@ScarletDove

Staub said never to put heat up empty pot - may damage it

I did find a KA bread recipe- calls for aempty hot pot in oven - they suggest a bread pot- then put dough so it will poof to a big crusty.delicious bread. 

alternate solution is to do 2nd rise in cold oven with then the oven just turned on - both heats up together - 

that bread sure looks good... how do you handle - empty pot in hot oven or not?

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc. thank you - sounds delish

I still haven't cooked anything yet - but it is proudly displayed and I do pet it when I walk by - don't judge...lol

getting all the ingredients for Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon - aiming for this weekend

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yahooey wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@Yahooey wrote:

@aroc3435

@ScarletDove

Staub said never to put heat up empty pot - may damage it

I did find a KA bread recipe- calls for aempty hot pot in oven - they suggest a bread pot- then put dough so it will poof to a big crusty.delicious bread. 

alternate solution is to do 2nd rise in cold oven with then the oven just turned on - both heats up together - 

that bread sure looks good... how do you handle - empty pot in hot oven or not?

@Yahooey  I have both Staub and LeCreuset dutch ovens but I have never used any of them to bake breads in the oven.  I use many KA bread recipes but have yet to try a recipe using a dutch oven/pot for baking.

Respected Contributor

Oh but it's not true  just looking for some can be dangerous !!!Woman Mad

Honored Contributor

Made my first meal ATK Beef Stew yesterday. I seared the meat, added some veggies and into the oven. It was heavy. When I took it out 1.5 hrs later to add the potatoes - I just left it on stovetop instead of returning it to the oven. If I ever do this recipe again - I would cut the amount of meat in half (2 lbs instead of 4) and add a lot more veggies.

I was afraid I was going to forget and touch the handles or lid without an oven mitt. I'm so use to holding onto a handle as I stir or shifting the pot over the flame. It all went well. I'm NOT buying the ceramic pumpkin bowls but I had to serve mine in an orange bowl. Close enough...

Thanks for enabling me - any tips I should know about?

IMG_1260.JPG

0.jpeg

Valued Contributor

Oh my! That looks yummy.  My addiction is old cast iron skillets and the like.  I bought a set of stainless steel cookware and the skillets are rarely used.  I love cast iron.