Honored Contributor

Look for Apeel on Fruits and Vegetables

Apeel is a new patented coating that they putting on many fruits and veggies which drastically extends their usefulness and edibility.  They're now using it on the more expensive citrus, large avocados, asperagus, organic apples, etc.  It's said such produce is now available in 10,000 supermarkets.  It makes a significant difference if you plan to keep the produce for awhile

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Re: Look for Apeel on Fruits and Vegetables

Do you know if there is anything on the produce to indicate that it has been used?

Honored Contributor

@Bookplate    I don't know but surely its marked with a sticker or something as it's such a great selling point.  I'm thinking it's probably more expensive.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

More chemicals ???

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

More chemicals ???

This really bums me out.

I buy organic only and have noticed that the Roma tomatoes have a shiny wax on them.  

Hopefully, frozen veggies won't be tainted with this junk.  I am like a European, where I go to the market almost daily for my fruit and mostly vegetables.  And they don't sit, either.  I buy the to prepare them to EAT.

More reason for me to do an organic garden next season.  We weren't here early enough to get one started this year.

Esteemed Contributor

5th May 2023 

Wicked Leeks

Everything you need to know about Apeel.

The edible coating claims to double shelf life, but how does it work and is it safe?

https://wickedleeks.riverford.co.uk/features/everything-you-need-to-know-about-apeel/

https://blogstudio.s3.theshoppad.net/epicwaterfilters/ca986dbe6a590d1fcede63d33b8090d4

IS APEEL SAFE?

Epic water filters

Boulder Colorado

https://www.epicwaterfilters.com/blogs/quick-drips/is-apeel-safe

Super Contributor

Its heavily used on avocados. I did some research a few months ago, and I do not feel it's safe. The US uses chemicals in our food supply that other countries would not touch.

Floral Pillow
Honored Contributor

This is also from Wicked Leeks site.

What has been omitted from this discussion is the bodily process of these glycerides, the affect on the body, the solvents used and the residual substances left behind. This is what I have found out:
1) monoglycerides and diglycerides form triglycerides in the body which is attributed to the hardening of the artery walls thus causing arteriosclerosis and pancreatitis
2) the solvents used include ethyl acetate and heptane which affects the CNS, also causing headaches, nausea, drowsiness and possible permanent damage to CNS.
3) Neutralising agents are added which are carcinogenic which include: Palladium( Toxic), Arsenic ( eyes, liver, skin issues), Lead (affects body systems), Cadmium (kidney, bone issues) and Mercury (brain)
According to Apeels’s literature these chemical are not EXPECTED to go through the skin( so not tested it then?) but bear in mind the skin is the most nutritious part.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 @Nightowlz @RhondaRena @MorningLover @Lucky Charm 

This really "burns me out" too!

I briefly scanned the water filter article and have to say how disgusting this is!

Based on my autoimmune condition, I have noticed that my skin responds poorly to most products. No need to wonder why. According to a book "Lichen sclerosis: beating the disease" by Chandoha,  relief of symptoms can be achieved by carefully screening everything (water, meat, detergents, soaps, olive oil, etc) for purity.

As they say, we are living in a "chemical soup".

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~