Honored Contributor

Re: Long Island next for Wegmans

I love Wegman's and they're actually not that expensive. I believe we have one here in Massachusetts.

Wegman's actually was founded in the state of NY and still has its headquaters there. I was born in Ny and still refer to myself as a born New Yoker despite growing up in New Jersey.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I watch TV news and see all the mental folk walking around slugging Asia women, stealing cars, shooting up stores, subway terrors, etc. Enough for me to know I'm lucky I don't live in any big city.   They may have more cultural activities, fancy places, etc. but, who wants to take a chance with what's all out there

You can't enjoy yourself for worrying and watching out for every little thing.

Anybody approaching you could draw a knife, slit your throat, rape you, rob you even people pushing babies in strollers get held up.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I watch TV news and see all the mental folk walking around slugging Asia women, stealing cars, shooting up stores, subway terrors, etc. Enough for me to know I'm lucky I don't live in any big city.   They may have more cultural activities, fancy places, etc. but, who wants to take a chance with what's all out there

Anybody approaching you could draw a knife, slit your throat, rape you, rob you even people pushing babies in strollers get held up.

@SharkE   Just what I thought.  Look, I'm not at all trying to sanitize anything.  Every town has it's morbid and awful issues.  Every town.

But what do you think gets the ratings for TV news???  Focusing on only the bad. 

How about NYC concerts in the parks; communities pulling together to save the local corner store when it falls on hard times; pro athletes coming to Rucker Park in Harlem to have celebrity pick-up basketball games to raise funds for the neighborhood; hundreds of people pulling together to help lead police to the monsters that harm those same victims in the other news stories you saw on TV -- you know, the one with only one-side to tell.  

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

@SharkE You and the TV newscasts you are watching have a very skewed view of NYC. Do you think newscasters in other places are going to show the good things going on here? That's not "news" to them or to people other than those of us who live here. Is crime way up? Yes, unfortunately it is. However, it's up all over. There are mentally ill people EVERYWHERE due to the lack of available healthcare in this country. 

You are not seeing or hearing about the great places to visit and experience. Cultural diversity, there is something here for everyone. Not much you can't find in NY. Long Island is NOT NYC, it's suburbia. NYC is just one part of the state. As a Lifelong resident of NY - Bronx born and raised - I'm proud to be from this state and I bet I've experienced more things than many people growing up in other places in the country.

Obviously you are not going to change your views of NY so I won't try. It's a shame you've made yourself a prisoner of the fear and predjudice you've created in your head. I'm not understanding why you even made this sort of remark on a post about a grocery store. People need to buy food even if they live in the imaginary hellhole you've invented.

By the way....there are over 19 million people who live in NYS. 8.5 million in NYC. Lots of people out and about despite your dire worry that we'll all be exterminated any minute now. I wish you well, but please do a little bit of research and see the bigger picture.

Honored Contributor

Stay safe you all !

Honored Contributor

We are in MD and have a Wegmans a mile from our home, An amazing store and it is not one of the bigger ones, We have one of their biggest stores 20 minutes from me, but it is too huge, we find it overwhelming. Great prices, great service, great selection, 

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

Wegman's actually was founded in the state of NY and still has its headquaters there. 

Yes, Rochester NY is their home and a high percentage of their stores (46 out of 107) are in Western New York: Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo, Finger Lakes, and Southern Tier.

Outside their home base, they have stores in Metro NYC (2), PA (18), MA (6), MD (8), NJ (9), VA (14), and NC (4).

Respected Contributor

Texas got like 2 days of mild winter weather and the whole place fell apart. Not sure why anyone would want to live there but ok.
Respected Contributor

Wegmans would never make it in The Hamptons. There are major traffic issues in the summer. The Sunrise Highway bottlenecks into 2 lanes in Southampton amd points east its worse than your worst nightmare in summer.

Fall Winter Spring - not enough population - business cannot sustain

I see a poster mentioned Lake Grove. That makes sense ..this is however a very congested area already. I loved the Long Island i knew as a kid...but now i have to say its becoming a paved paradise. driving on the LIE freaks me out. When i have to come down here i take the ferry. Another major rip now w their fuel surcharge. Cannot win
Trusted Contributor

When I visit my family in Westchester County, NY, I always make a stop or 2 or three at the Wegman's in Harrison.  Before I head back to Delaware, I make a stop at Wegman's and really stock up. 

Then I head over to my favorite pizza place and bring home slices to freeze.