Trusted Contributor

Re: Long Island next for Wegmans

Never been to Wegmans so I don't know what I'm missing.   Everything around my area is Publix. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

I wouldn't put no store in New York no way no how.

You don't open a store to give away stuff to thieves, smash and grabbers.

@SharkE  As everyone else said, Long Island NY is not Manhattan. I live in NY but not Manhattan. NY is a big state. If I knew how to do it, I'd put up a map of NY. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Janey2 I know - did my best for a quick reply.    ain't the slums either.

Esteemed Contributor

@pigletsmom If PC is based there I'd guess - you're guess of a gentlemen's agreement sounds plausible.  Stranger deals have been made.

Could also be PC has good prices and W can't compete or offer better food prices.

Honored Contributor

These days it don't matter. Look at the swank  jewelry stores and high end

clothing stores that gets targeted.

I'm scared and looking around when I go to library in Amarillo, Tx.

Too many nut jobs running around. Mental patients just wandering around all day on the streets.

I'm aware of everything around me and know where the exits are.

Our church now has 2 men 'packin'.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

These days it don't matter. Look at the swank  jewelry stores and high end

clothing stores that gets targeted.

I'm scared and looking around when I go to library in Amarillo, Tx.

Too many nut jobs running around. Mental patients just wandering around all day on the streets.

I'm aware of everything around me and know where the exits are.

Our church now has 2 men 'packin'.

@SharkE  I can see why you are nervous. I didn't know you lived in a city. I'm in a small town and no one wanders around or has been robbed or I would have heard about it. 

Honored Contributor

I live in a country suburban outside of the city in a OK area. When I go into town and Amarillo is no way big as New York. On the I-40 state highway always people holding signs at the intersections where you have to stop for the light. sometimes they approach the cars looking for hand outs.

Living under the highway overpasses. Sometimes they have grocery carts , dogs on leashes, signs wanting money.   I try to make the light so as not

to engage them. Scary.

I got a security system put in my house. Makes me less anxious since husband died. Tell you one thing if 2 people are looking at the same parking spot I let 'em have it.   Might get shot if you P somebody off.

Respected Contributor

My daughter works for Wegmans in NJ.  There's a lot that goes into deciding where a Wegmans location will be.  From what she's told me,  Wegmans is actually considered a 'specialty' grocery store that targets a certain demographic.  They look for more populated areas that have higher education and income levels among adults, as well as the ease of access and visibilty to the location.    

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Trusted Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I wouldn't put no store in New York no way no how.

You don't open a store to give away stuff to thieves, smash and grabbers.

How familiar are you with NY?  LI is 100 miles long and has quite a variety of mostly middle class communiities.  We are far removed in many ways from NYC, but we can go to the city in a short time if we want to.  Do we have crime?  Well, considering we have about 4 million people on LI, yes, we do.  Is it any different from any other area in the country?  Probably not.

On the other hand, one of my best friends moved from LI to Amarillo about five years ago.  She hasn't mentioned any crime like what has been described.  Her daughter is a doctor and lives outside of Amarillo, but my friend is in the city.  Maybe it's perception.

Wegman's will open in a community called Lake Grove directly across from one of our major malls.  There's already a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods in the area.  I can't wait for Wegman's to get here.  I love, love, love that store.  Have been to several upstate, but my favorite is the flagship store in Rochester. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I ignore the over-generalized, hyper-stereotypical NY comments, since they are usually from those who have never even been there or who have one experience in one neighborhood. 

Speaking from someone who was born and raised in the Bronx, graduated from a college near Buffalo, was married and had my child in Brooklyn, and spent a few stay-cation weekends in the Hamptons  -- it's a most eclectic, glorious state, among all of our glorious states in the country. New York can be described from one end of the social-economic spectrum to the other, and every thing in between.   

Back to Wegmans...it's my absolute favorite grocery store!  I currently live less than 10 miles outside DC.  I have 4 Wegman's sort of (all within 20 miles) near me, with the nearest one right in my city.  

However, none of them are a convenient hop-skip from me.  Until next month -- a new Wegman's is opening just 4 miles from me and I cannot wait!  It's super convenient to drive to, even on weekdays when commuter traffic is outrageous. 

Grand opening is on a Wednesday.  I'll be there as soon as I get off work.Smiley Happy