Super Contributor

LocknLock Tritan - What's the problem with them?

Saw Chris Pryme demo'ing the LocknLock Tritan containers and was tempted to get them - but then I looked at the reviews. There are almost as many 1 star reviews as there are 5 star reviews. It seems many who purchased them have had them crack. They haven't mistreated them and they haven't dropped them.

I've had Rubbermaid's competing product, its Brilliance series for more than a year and have loved them. Not a single one (and I own more than 10 pieces) is damaged in any way. I'm disappointed that the LocknLock Tritan containers are apparently defective for many customers as they are attractive and seemed like a good product. Oh, and the Rubbermaid Brilliance containers are a little less expensive to boot.

Anyone else had any experience with the LocknLock Tritan containers? Thanks.

Valued Contributor

Re: LocknLock Tritan - What's the problem with them?

@Foodie 7   I was going to order as well until I read the reviews.  The deal breaker for me -- in  addition to the cracking -- is that there are no helper handles to remove the pan from the oven.  I looked on Amazon and there are some good choices of 9x13 glass pans with lids.

Valued Contributor

Yes, I noticed that as well so I, too, backed out.

Honored Contributor

@Foodie 7 

Have had tritans for a long time, several years.   NO problems with cracking, staining, breaking etc.

Gave them to DD & DIL....no problems with them either.  Tritans are actually my favorite!

Not sure what @judy0330 is talking about w/ helper handles to take out of the oven though.  My tritan are all plastic and could not go in the oven.

Valued Contributor

Have had a set of recrtangular tritans for a half year or so.  So far no problems with them.  Only thing I have noticed is the lids seem thin and might be prone to breaking around the tabs but so far mine are holding up to occasional use.

Honored Contributor

I thought Chris said Tritan is also used for aircraft windshields - with the obvious implication that it's very strong.  So I wonder why so many reports of cracks.

Valued Contributor

@RespectLife   You are correct.  I was thinking of the 9x13 glass L&L pan.

Respected Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

@Foodie 7   I was going to order as well until I read the reviews.  The deal breaker for me -- in  addition to the cracking -- is that there are no helper handles to remove the pan from the oven.  I looked on Amazon and there are some good choices of 9x13 glass pans with lids.

I believe you were talking about the borosilicate glass, not the triton containers. The triton containers cannot go into the oven

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had a couple of Tritans that are ages old and no problems at all.

Honored Contributor

I've never had anything from the Tritan line, just because......I have no idea why!!!!!

I will offer up something about the review process here. It's not all that great sometimes. People rate things low they never purchased, people rate things before ever really using or washing them, and people often give great reviews or low ones with no real explanation or because of a stupid reason ("it was too small a container for my salad"......like you couldn't read the measurements?!

I have to wonder if the ones that did experience cracking over heated them, heated them 'dry' like with not enough food in them, or maybe dropped them when frozen. I've dropped the plastic ones on concrete with frozen liquid in and they don't fare well!

I don't have a dishwasher, but I have to wonder if they were damaged in the dishwasher as well. 

Just some thoughts. 

I might try a set some day. For some reason, I'm high into the glass right now though.