Frequent Contributor

Lock-n-lock Microwave / dishwasher safe ?

Can Lock-n-Lock go in the microwave and the dishwasher ?

Honored Contributor

Re: Lock-n-lock Microwave / dishwasher safe ?

Yes- use the top rack only and make sure you vent while microwaving.

Respected Contributor

I won't use mine in the microwave as I only use glass. It's great in the top shelf of dishwasher.

Honored Contributor

The dishwasher info has already been correctly communicated, as well as microwave use.

Let me just ad, from my POV, that I would not put them in the microwave. Obviously, this will destroy them sooner or later. But more importantly, if you do and you're using the lid as a cover, be sure to either offset it or put it atop the vessel upside down. If you leave it on top, as though you were going to seal it but without sealing it of course, it can get sukked on there during microwaving.

I know this because I had given some to an acquaintenance and she just unlocked one of them and put it in the microwave. She ended up unable to get the top off and had to throw it away with the contents inside. (she's not careful with her stuff like I am and it wasn't the first one she destroyed, so I had to stop giving them to her)

Honored Contributor

Don't put them in the microwave with spaghetti sauce or other products with any type of fat in them. It will bubble the plastic. After ruining two pieces years ago, I just don't microwave in them, period.

Super Contributor

I find that they get a sort of whitish build up in the dishwasher- although this could be my hard water...

Esteemed Contributor

I hand wash mine- at least the tops so the seal doesn't get even slightly distorted from the heat of the dishwasher. I don't usually use the tops in the microwave either- I just use a half sheet of paper towel over the container.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

On 3/3/2014 stilltamn8r said:

I find that they get a sort of whitish build up in the dishwasher- although this could be my hard water...

Mine do, too. Except it looks to me like it's been partly melted though. I no longer use those for food items, but they work great around the office for paper clips and all that jazz. If I get any new ones, I'll hand wash them.

Super Contributor

So do you think our dishwashers are too hot?

Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure...I don't know how to adjust mine (I live in an apartment). The Food Network plastic storage bins I bought from Kohl's are fine after I've put them in the dishwasher...