Trusted Contributor

Lock & Lock - Too Airtight??

Has anyone else had a problem with keeping chips or crackers crisp in Lock & Lock ?  Seems that soften somewhat.  Could L&L be too airtight to keep some items crispy?  

(Maybe the moisture within the cracker by staying airtight can soften them?? - any chemists or physicists out there?).  

Bottom line:  What is the best way to keep chips and crackers crispy?  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lock & Lock - Too Airtight??

[ Edited ]

OOps.

@trenet wrote:

Has anyone else had a problem with keeping chips or crackers crisp in Lock & Lock ?  Seems that soften somewhat.  Could L&L be too airtight to keep some items crispy?  

At my house, they don't stay around long enough to go bad. I do use crackers in L & L. 

There use to be an ?owl made of something a long time ago a woman mentioned to put in things to store and keep it fresh. Maybe that was brown sugar.....

Esteemed Contributor

Is there another food item in the same container as the chips/crackers? I have crackers in my tall Lock'nLock for a month - and they're fine. Recently, I put some crackers in a container with another food item (can't remember which) - and the crackers were soft.

Trusted Contributor

@trenet I put all chips, cookies and crackers into L&L's as soon as I open the packages. I have never had a problem with them staying crisp. I have had various things stay good for months and months. 

Esteemed Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@trenet I put all chips, cookies and crackers into L&L's as soon as I open the packages. I have never had a problem with them staying crisp. I have had various things stay good for months and months. 

@grandma2pkmh

Do you take them out of their sleeves/bag to keep them crisp?

Trusted Contributor

I also put my crackers in my tall L&L, never had a problem.  I keep them in their wrapper, take out what I need, twist the wrapper and put them back.  They stay fresh, never had a softening problem.

Trusted Contributor

@eddyandme With the exception of saltines, yes I take everything out of the original packaging.

Respected Contributor

Someone mentioned putting another item in the same container.  Just don't put a slice of bread.  I read a tip one time that said to keep fresh baked cookies soft, you can add a slice of bread in the container and that will keep the cookies from turning crispy.  I tried it and it certainly worked!  Smiley Happy 

Esteemed Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@eddyandme With the exception of saltines, yes I take everything out of the original packaging.

@grandma2pkmh

Thank you. I tried chips once and they weren't crispy - maybe it was a bad batch. Gonna try saltines - get large size from Prime so they'll probably stay fresher longer!

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @trenet.

The air sealed inside the package of cookies/crackers is very D-R-Y to insure the product is crisp when you open it. When you open the package the product is exposed to the air in your kitchen. Your cookies/crackers absorb moisture from the air.

If you're in the arid southwest, no problem.

Or, you're AirConditioning keeps your environment dry? Good!

But if you're in my humid area, the air is the enemy. 

Nothing stays crisp once it's opened and exposed to room air between June and November.