Super Contributor

Re: Listeria outbreak in commercially prepared caramel apples

On 12/19/2014 acim said:

Statement on Mrs. Prindables website.. Gosh, I feel bad for them!

http://www.mrsprindables.com/news

That statement is good as far as it goes -- and I've no doubt Mrs. P's in doing the best they can and are making extra sure none of their ingredients in the carmamel was sourced from those brands named.

But it's being cautioned that more brands might be affected, so I'm not sure we know definitively yet.

Ultimately, I think we're safe and that the caramel probably came from a facility with poor quality control, but I'm waiting a little longer before I dig in. :-)

Super Contributor

On 12/19/2014 Qboop said: I, too, received an order of mrs. Prindables...I just called QVC and was very abruptly told that QVC was not giving refunds at this time even though it may take up to 70 days for symptoms of listeria to occur. Their response is obviously not consistent, nor empathetic...very disappointing even though I will not risk it and have just wasted money. The centers for disease control acknowledges that it doesn't have all the names of the companies....QVC must think it knows more than the CDC.

I'm pretty confident we're okay, too, but am surprised QVC is taking that approach as the investigation is ongoing. They (and Mrs. P's) keep citing the MN Dept of Public Health, but the illness has been reported in AZ, CA, MN, NC, TX, UT, WA, WI, NM. That's rather wide spread.

Super Contributor

Whatever you decide to do, do not give any of them to a pregnant woman. Don't take a chance. Listeria can be fatal to mother and child. I contracted it while pregnant and they had to induce labor because both our heartrates fell dangerously low.
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/19/2014 Qboop said: I, too, received an order of mrs. Prindables...I just called QVC and was very abruptly told that QVC was not giving refunds at this time even though it may take up to 70 days for symptoms of listeria to occur. Their response is obviously not consistent, nor empathetic...very disappointing even though I will not risk it and have just wasted money. The centers for disease control acknowledges that it doesn't have all the names of the companies....QVC must think it knows more than the CDC.

I just called CS at QVC and spoke to a very nice, polite and understanding person! She said the the Q's legal team was on it and they did not really think that Mrs. P's were involved in the issue. I am concerned, however have eaten one of the group and so far am not feeling sick! She did give me a refund right away though. If I were you, I would call back right away and ask to speak to a supervisor!

Super Contributor

On 12/19/2014 Lila4now said:

If QVC does stand for Quality, they should notify anyone who has received a Prindables product, and refund all customers that fall in the time frame. It's the only way for them to keep their reputation with food products. If one person becomes ill, it's not worth them saving a dime.

Not sure any of these Christmas ones fall within the timeframe the CDC is giving, although it does state that cases after December 3 may not have yet been reported.

New Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}It's really a MESS because I just knew these were going to be go-to-Christmas/Happy Holidays! gift for everyone to make it easy on myself. Now I will be trolling the streets in the AM to get gifts for ALL 20 people that I planned to give these too...I really wish that the CDC would have released the brand names of the company's that produced the apples. At least with the names I could include a printed out press release showing that the Mrs. Prindables Apples WERE NOT on the list... QVC has been AWESOME giving me a refund... I just really hate to discard all these apples because they can't take food items back!!! I really am at a lost--can't take them to the shelters, can't give them to a food bank. Just a MESS!!!

Super Contributor

Oh dear!! Just sent quite a few of the Mrs. P's to my husband's co-workers who ask every year if he will be ordering them again and if not, can they get the website so they can order. These were the ones Lisa Robertson designed and I must say they are very pretty, but I sure hope no one gets sick from these. We have two parties this weekend to attend and I was going to bring the hostess of each party an apple as they also look forward to them. I don't know that I will take them now that the news of the Listeria outbreak has been made public. I don't want them to think I'm bringing them tainted apples!!!

I ordered and received 3 sets of these apples for gift giving so am going to just wait to see if I need to call for a refund, but at this point I think I might have to. I still have about 1 set left and I can't see paying for something that I am going to throw away.

From what I have read, it can take up to 70 days to become ill so even if you have eaten them lately and are feeling fine you could still be infected.

I just don't want to make anyone sick.

Vicki{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

New Contributor

I would call them back and ask to speak with a manager. If you don't get a refund - document all of your calls and who you spoke with and post it to the FB page and Twitter. I literally just got off the phone with a QVC CS rep and had NO NO NO issues... He was AWESOME and immediately understood and processed the refund!!! My point to my rep was that I can't give out apples with the CDC not clarifying the company's whose apples were affected. If I give them away people will think I am trying to harm them. Any CS rep or CS manager should agree. We are stuck because the minute this hits the 6pm news no right minded person would give ANY apple as a gift knowing that the recipient is going to question your motive with a CDC recall/warning in the US. I am just upset that I now have too get gifts for 20 people!!!

Frequent Contributor

I saw this post earlier actually just saw this story on my local TV news. The CDC said 28 people have been sickened by the caramel apples and a few have died. Pregnant women and elderly especially should be warned. They said it applies to commercially produced caramel apples, both plain and with toppings. They advise anyone who has them to put in a plastic bag and to throw away. They showed many states that are affected; I'm in New England and no states here were shown. More info can probably be obtained online at the CDC.

Around Sept/Oct, I purchased some individually packaged candy apples at a local supermarket, 99 cents each. Some were caramel with nuts, others had the red coating. I checked the name, and it is "Tastee" out of Ohio. At the time, I had a few slices, and they were really good. It's probably a coincidence, but I had a minor stomach bug around the time. You really don't know for sure though how you contract them. Needless to say, I tossed the few I had remaining.

I would think Mrs Prindables would be OK, but even if they're not, this is not good news to see if you're planning to give or may receive as gifts. They've looked tempting to me, but I've never purchased them. They are big, and if you don't have a crowd to serve to, it wouldn't be worth it.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

On 12/19/2014 ShopTilIDrop said:

I would call them back and ask to speak with a manager. If you don't get a refund - document all of your calls and who you spoke with and post it to the FB page and Twitter. I literally just got off the phone with a QVC CS rep and had NO NO NO issues... He was AWESOME and immediately understood and processed the refund!!! My point to my rep was that I can't give out apples with the CDC not clarifying the company's whose apples were affected. If I give them away people will think I am trying to harm them. Any CS rep or CS manager should agree. We are stuck because the minute this hits the 6pm news no right minded person would give ANY apple as a gift knowing that the recipient is going to question your motive with a CDC recall/warning in the US. I am just upset that I now have too get gifts for 20 people!!!

Well I just got off the phone with a CS by the name of Kevelyn and she told me rather bluntly that the Mrs. P's Apples were not part of the bad ones. Even when I brought up to her I didn't want to give them as it's all over the news and I didn't want to be giving people apples that "could be bad", she repeated the same sentence. Now I don't know what to do. I did ask for her name obviously and she seemed hesitant at first to give it to me, but I insisted.

What a bad experience I just had with QVC's customer service.

Vicki