Honored Contributor

Re: Lisa Robertson's kitchen

On 11/12/2014 Sharke said:

you can buy glass ones at walmart or like HOme depot, Loew's

I have one of these for each season and they work very well for under the crockpot. I have formica counters so I need a trivet under anything hot. That is one huge advantage to granite, I admit, you don't have to worry about hot stuff on it.

Occasional Contributor

Hi there...congrats on your new countertops!! If you'd like an inexpensive solution with lots of choices...you can go to any home improvement store and look in their tile department. There you will find tiles in all types of materials...ceramic, stone, glass, marble, etc...in a variety of sizes, thickness, and colors ...that make excellent trivets. If you aren't sure what you'd like, many will let you take samples home to try...and/or easily returnable. I use several on my countertops at naturel...but super glued little velvet dots on the corners of those I use on my table so they don't scratch the wood. Enjoy your new kitchen!
Trusted Contributor

QVC has sold glass cutting boards. Reasonably priced, too.

Respected Contributor

My crock pot doesn't get that hot, on the outside . . . ?

Respected Contributor

On 11/13/2014 suzeecat said:

My crock pot doesn't get that hot, on the outside . . . ?

mine either ... am i missing something?

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/12/2014 Mrs Grace said:

It's just a black granite cutting board. I would just buy a nice wooden one you can hand wash to get , and use for all other purposes. I have both, but like my wooden ones the best.

This is what I use for my crockpot and for any items coming out of the oven. Perfect. Also serves as a cutting board.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

The danger would probably be taking a hot casserole or pan out of the oven and putting it on cold granite. Usually small appliances are insulated and made to use on countertops plus they heat gradually. Heat up your crockpot and feel the bottom. If it's just warm, it's not a danger.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I have a couple of them, different sizes, but they are not as thick as Lisa's. I found them at one of the kitchen collection stores at one of the outlet malls. I have had them for years. I use them constantly.

Honored Contributor

There are some nice looking trivets on Zulily today. http://www.zulily.com/e/old-dutch-international-107694.html?ns=ns_306634037%7C1415920144569#pid_2080...
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

This looks like a piece of Corian or something similar. When I had my kitchen done my carpenter made me two large ones as a little gift even though I didn't use that product for my counter. Love them, we use one for our coffee pots and cutting board.