Esteemed Contributor

I was watching GZ's presentation of his nonstick cast iron pans today, and I wondered how long they stay nonstick. Some of the reviews said they stopped being nonstick after a few uses. I have a few Gotham Steel copper pans that were nonstick for about a half a year and then just stopped being nonstick. They still clean up with the use of Bio Cleaner, but they are certainly NOT nonstick anymore. My ceramic lined Lodge Dutch oven has a permanent dark stain on the bottom, but it still cooks well. What's your experience?

Respected Contributor

I NEVER put my pans in the dishwasher and I have pans that are 10 years old.  (Kirkland hard anodized from Costco.)  

Honored Contributor

There are too many variables to list a lifespan for non-stick cookware.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom - I have a set of Rachael Ray pots and pans that is 12 years old, and its nonstick interiors are like new (though the exteriors are not nearly as pretty as they originally were). I also have a few skillets and pieces from other brands, but none perform as well as my RR cookware, so I've never been able to justify getting rid of it when I pick up new things. Based on more recent reviews, it is possible that the quality of the line is not quite as good anymore, but I got my mother a set of RR pots and pans for Christmas and she loves them as much as I love mine. (Plus I'm always a bit skeptical in reading cookware reviews because I feel like many people don't follow instructions or even use common sense when handling kitchen tools.)

It is always best to hand wash all metal items, so that will increase the life of any pot or pan regardless of the nonstick. I have never even been tempted to put my RR set in the dishwasher because food releases so easily. I may sound a bit obsessed in this reply, but I truly love this set!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@loriqvc and @brandiwine I always hand wash my nonstick until they become no longer nonstick. I've never used the RR set or anything from Costco, but they are worth a try. I'm kind of frustrated at this point. I sear at pretty high heat, and I'm thinking that might be an issue. However, GZ says he treats his pans just like regular cast iron.

Esteemed Contributor

Just for me, nonstick and cast iron don’t belong together.  A well seasoned cast iron IS nonstick.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lifespan of Nonstick.

[ Edited ]

Usually when you cook on high heat or use spray-on no-stick products (like Pam), you will cause it to lose the non-stick surface. Always wash them with soap and water after each use and don't just wipe them off after cooking. Using a small amount of cooking oil to cook with will help extend the life of the non-stick surface.

Searing should be done on stainless or cast iron. Avoid using nonstick for searing. 

@PA Mom-mom 

Esteemed Contributor

I have a T-fal nonstick cookie sheet that I bought in the late 1970s, and I'm still using it. Granted, the nonstick surface in the center isn't what it used to be, but it's still fine on the rest of the pan. I never put it in the dishwasher, and only use soap/water to clean it. I no longer use it for cookies, but anything else is fair game!

Respected Contributor

Through the years I never had good luck with nonstick pans, and started to read about cancer risks once they start to wear.  Years ago I switched to a seasoned Lodge cast iron frying pan, and a couple of good steel pots.  I never have problems with food sticking in them.

I hand wash everything.....don’t use the dishwasher at all.

Respected Contributor

I’ve had GZ’s large nonstick skillet (the one with the helper handle) for about 4 months now and it’s doing well. Admittedly, I only use it a couple of times a month for searing chops and finishing them in the oven. DH washes it by hand, dries it and puts it in the warm oven to finish drying.

My go-to nonstick cookware is Scanpan. I've got about 6 skillets, some of which are several years old, and use at least one of them everyday. Again, we hand wash them and their nonstick finish is as good as the day we bought them. I also have a RR 3-quart steamer that I use almost daily, for cooking as well as steaming. It doesn’t look that substantial, but it has very good heat distribution. DH puts it in the dishwasher and it comes out looking like new. 

I’ve had lots of other nonstick cookware over the years of decent quality. Generally, the nonstick surface either lost its nonstick-ability or started wearing off. Those I listed above have worked the best.