Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@loriqvc and @brandiwine I always hand wash my nonstick until they become no longer nonstick. I've never used the RR set or anything from Costco, but they are worth a try. I'm kind of frustrated at this point. I sear at pretty high heat, and I'm thinking that might be an issue. However, GZ says he treats his pans just like regular cast iron.

@PA Mom-mom  GZ recommends against using high heat with his pans. During a presentation he said the highest heat he’d use with his pans is medium to medium-high. I’ve followed this recommendation and gotten a nice sear when I use my GZ skillet. 

Honored Contributor

I got rid of all my black nonstick stuff and bought Curtis Stones ceramic nonstick cookware---have had a few of his pieces for almost 5 years and they are still nonstick.  I love it !! But I never coat it with non stick spray or heat the pan on high heat first and also I NEVER take the hot pan and fill it with water---I let it cool down first.  Prevents the pan from warping.

Valued Contributor

I have a set of TFal purchased through QVC in December 1995 - they are still as good as the first day I used them - even the outsides of the various pots and pans are in great condition.

However, my friends have had various non-stick items, purchased in recent times, which lost the non-stick feature after about a year's use - as we know, nothing is made to last  long these days and I feel current non-stick is the same way.

Valued Contributor

I have a few Rachael Ray hard anodized pans that I prefer to use on most occasions.  They are the easiest pans to clean afterwards and I like the way my food cooks up in them overall.   I hand wash all of my pans since I don't have a working dishwasher but these pans are so easy to clean out anyhow.  Also, when I brown something I only use medium heat that seems to be enough without going full high heat which I think extends the life.  A recent find that I really like also is the Deen Brothers ceramic nonstick pans which I use from time to time also.  Their pans have a really nice stainless steel exterior which looks high end.  RR pans have pretty enamel colors on the outside to choose from.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone for your contributions! As suggested, I have never put the pans into the dishwasher - until they lost their nonstick qualities. I'm still thinking about the GZ, but your suggestions are worth checking out. I also agree that I may have heated them too much.

Respected Contributor

I agree with @giddy up  on the Deen Brother's pans. I have 2 of the 10" skillets and love the way they clean inside and out (SS) . I have had some pans with painted exteriors that just cannot be cleaned after awhile. I hang mine on an open rack so this is important to me. 

I thought the copper brand that QVC and many places sell was the new hope . Alas , mine after about 6 months stopped being non-stick . I only hand wash all of my pans . I do love the size of one of them though . The square one with a long handle and helper handle. I laugh when I hear them touting the 'non-stick' of them Smiley Happy

I ordered one from Wolgang Puck's shows yesterday. They look about like the Deen Bro. I needed an 8" and they offered a 20% off cpn. It has SS on the outside. Can go up to 400 degrees and is supposed to be metal utensil safe .

The new line is called Plasma. Which made me think of blood Smiley Happy and I wondered who named it . When I looked up the definition of plasma it also includes a gemstone-- I guess that was why.

OK crosses her fingers!--maybe this is the one Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

I’ve had GZ’s large nonstick skillet (the one with the helper handle) for about 4 months now and it’s doing well. Admittedly, I only use it a couple of times a month for searing chops and finishing them in the oven. DH washes it by hand, dries it and puts it in the warm oven to finish drying.

My go-to nonstick cookware is Scanpan. I've got about 6 skillets, some of which are several years old, and use at least one of them everyday. Again, we hand wash them and their nonstick finish is as good as the day we bought them. I also have a RR 3-quart steamer that I use almost daily, for cooking as well as steaming. It doesn’t look that substantial, but it has very good heat distribution. DH puts it in the dishwasher and it comes out looking like new. 

I’ve had lots of other nonstick cookware over the years of decent quality. Generally, the nonstick surface either lost its nonstick-ability or started wearing off. Those I listed above have worked the best. 

I agree with Scanpan. Got 8 and 10 “ try me skillets at Burlington and I use at least one of them everyday. I also have Deen Bros, Staub and the last LC TSV. I was expecting to send the LC one back but it cooked first time out like I had it for years. 

As for the GZ line, I got the 9x13 pan to try it out. First thought it is heavier than it looks. Second, it is rough on the underside. After that, nothing sticks to it, it is impressive and my go to pan for the oven.  I even tried it as a skillet initially and it was excellent. 

Honored Contributor

I love the Deen Brothers' GranIT pans. I bought a whole set of them. Really nice quality and nothing sticks.

Respected Contributor

I'm sure most of you already know that you should never use any non-stick skillets or appliances if you have a bird.  

PTFE and PFOA are deadly to them.   Many people say if you are careful and don't heat them at a high temperature they are fine to use.   The problem is the unknown factor of when exactly the chemicals used to make them non-stick begin to give off the toxic fumes that will kill pet birds.   

I use Stainless Steel skillets and pans exclusively.   I search every appliance that I buy to make sure there is no PTFE or PFOA coating on them.    I do have one Waffle Iron that has a non-stick coating but when I use it I take it outside to my patio and make the waffles there.     If I am the least bit unsure of an item I always use it outside.  

When our first bird came into our home many years ago all of our non-stick went to the Goodwill.  My husband said if it is toxic to pet birds do we know what damage it may be doing to us over time.

He often makes the comment that our birds have probably helped our health as much as we have helped them.