Honored Contributor

Re: Let's talk English Muffins . . . :)

@momtochloe

I am in the Seattle area.  They are sold in Fred Meyer, QFC and Safeway here.  

Wolferman's are a meal.  I used the cheese ones for buns on pulled pork sandwiches a couple of years ago.  That got rave reviews.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@momtochloe

I am in the Seattle area.  They are sold in Fred Meyer, QFC and Safeway here.  

Wolferman's are a meal.  I used the cheese ones for buns on pulled pork sandwiches a couple of years ago.  That got rave reviews.  

@DiAnne I actually laughed out loud about your using Wolferman's muffins for a sandwich (excellent choice by the way) . . . a few months ago my friend had accumulated enough points to pay for a lunch for two at a rather nice restaurant and graciously invited me to come along.  I giggled when (during reading the menu) she asked what a Wolferman english muffin was . . . I really like their Cheddar Cheese muffins for a variety of reasons . . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Are Bay's English muffins the ones always kept in the refrigerated section?  

I love Thomas' English muffins.  I'll have to try Bay's and I've never heard of Wolferman's.  

Respected Contributor

I was a Thomas's fan until I tasted a Bay's muffin.  It has been Bay's at our house ever since.  @momtochloe, I can recommend this recipe for both quality and economy:

English Muffin Loaf

2 loaves, 16 slices per loaf

2 packages active dry yeast
6 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups milk
½ cup water
Cornmeal, yellow

Combine 3 cups of the flour, the yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda. Heat liquids until very warm (120º-130ºF). Add to dry mixture, beat well. Stir in remaining 3 cups of flour to make a stiff batter.

Spoon into two 8 ½” x 4 ½” pans that have been greased and sprinkled with cornmeal.

Sprinkle tops with cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.

Bake at 400º for 25 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool.

To serve: Slice and toast.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I love Thomas' English muffins.  I'll have to try Bay's and I've never heard of Wolferman's.  

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@Sunshine Kate yes they are in the refrigerated case but they do store nicely for quite a while (hence my stock up reference).  I would give them a try if they are in your area as they are a bit different than regular english muffins.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I was wondering the same thing about them being in the refrigerated section.  Wolfermans website or catalog are the only way that I have ever ordered them.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

I was a Thomas's fan until I tasted a Bay's muffin.  It has been Bay's at our house ever since.  @momtochloe, I can recommend this recipe for both quality and economy:

English Muffin Loaf

2 loaves, 16 slices per loaf

2 packages active dry yeast
6 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups milk
½ cup water
Cornmeal, yellow

Combine 3 cups of the flour, the yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda. Heat liquids until very warm (120º-130ºF). Add to dry mixture, beat well. Stir in remaining 3 cups of flour to make a stiff batter.

Spoon into two 8 ½” x 4 ½” pans that have been greased and sprinkled with cornmeal.

Sprinkle tops with cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.

Bake at 400º for 25 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool.

To serve: Slice and toast.

Oh my goodness @IamMrsG I am so flying to wherever you live to plant a big old MWAH on you for this! . . . . YAY as this would actually work better for me!

Thank you so much my friend, you have no idea how much I appreciate this!  Heart

Respected Contributor

I choose English muffins for breakfast in a restaurant every time instead of regular toast.  My number one favorite is Thomas and anything else just doesn't meet my definition of an English muffin.  Prefer it toasted until lightly browned and crisp, not soggy and flabby and barely warm like so many breakfast restaurant joints serve their muffins.

I've had Wolferman's several times (by mail order), but they are so dense and heavy that I'd  probably choose another type of bread if I really want "toast".  I like the "nooks and crannies" in a Thomas muffin.

Thomas muffins also make wonderful tuna melt or ham and cheese melt sandwiches.

Have never heard of nor seen the Bays brand, but always willing to give something new a try if I find it.

Trusted Contributor

Did you check Amazon?  They are listed there. I didn't check the specifics, just saw them listed.----------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe

Refrigerated section?  That is why I have never seen them.  When I looked on website to see where they were sold - two of the stores I frequent and had never seen them.  I will definitely check the refrigerated section.