Honored Contributor

Re: Let's Share Kitchen Goofs!

@lynnie61 wrote:

Made a cake once and after baking the cake, cleaning up the dishes and realized I never put the eggs in, sitting cracked in a prep bowl.   I’m sure there are other goofs.  

My favorite,  I have shared here before, from the early 70’s, my coworker friend was making her boyfriend dinner.  Back then, ham came in the can with the key.  She calls her mom after an hour or two, and asks her how do you get it out of the can with the hot key.  We laughed for years about it. They were lucky it didn’t explode.  She said, hey, I was 18 in my first apartment.  Cooked it right in the sealed can.  Probably regretted sharing that one.  😂

@lynnie61 Cute!  I believe that was a "Hostess" ham.

They were good in the 1960's and 1970's.

Hostess Boneless Ham 3-Lb. | Ham | JustSave Foods

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
  1. On my second date with future DH I made him dinner.  Wasn't ( still am not) a good cook so my side was a microwaved potato. When I cut into mine I realized it was pretty raw; DH ate his, so I married him!
Honored Contributor

Here's one from just last week.  Our hummingbirds are hungry this year, I make a 5 cup batch of syrup once a day.  So it's pretty routine, just heat until the sugar no longer shows on the bottom of the pan and let it cool.  I must have turned off the soup cooking on the back burner instead of the front where the syrup was.  Several minutes later DH wanders over by the stove and discovers this burnt to a crisp pan coated with puffy blackened sugar.  The smell lingered for days.  We now have the practice of moving any pan that is cooling down off the burner.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Last week I had a craving for fudge.  I used the easy three ingredient chocolate fudge recipe.  Assesmbled it and couldn't understand why it was so runny since I have made this fudge made times.  Put it in the refrigerator and it never set.  Finally it dawned on me I used evaporated milk instead of condensed milk.  Luckily I was not making it for anyone.  So much for my craving.

Esteemed Contributor

A few weeks ago I suddenly had a craving for one of those Bisquick Impossible Pies.  I hadn't made one in years, but I really wanted the Impossible Cheeseburger Pie.  I even made a special trip to the grocery for a box of Bisquick and some shredded cheese.  Somehow, when I put it together, I left out the Bisquick!  (Realized this only when I took it out of the oven.)  DH, who eats anything and everything, said "Great quiche!" It was edible, but definitely not what I had been craving.Smiley Sad

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I had just bought a bag of salt for a salt map project my grandson had to do for school put it in a L& L so it wouldn’t spill. The next day I made a cranberry pecan congealed salad for a family birthday dinner and used I cup of the salt instead of I cup of sugar. My DH was the first one to try it....you should have seen his face! Lesson: keep the salt container far away from the sugar container...and label it!
Respected Contributor

@ECBG  I made some brownies one day and had them in the oven when I discovered a major flaw.  As I was cleaning up bowls and the chopper I found flour measured in a bowl sitting on the counter.  Needless to say, the brownies in the oven were like a brick and I almost had to throw my pan away.  Distractions make for some bad outcomes.